Lady Ivana (Porscha) Pierrah

My dog just started barking and whimpering in her sleep, does that mean she is having a bad dream?

My dog just started barking and whimpering in her sleep. Is this a bad dream? It took me a while to get her calmed down...what does this mean?

Asked by Lady Ivana (Porscha) Pierrah on Jan 3rd 2008 in Other Puppies

Answers

There is a certain stage of sleep where the dog starts twitching, and sometimes whimpering and whining. Scientists say this is also the "dreaming" stage. I guess she was having a bad dream.

It doesn't really "mean" anything.

Just like people, dogs experience several different dream stages. When dogs are fast asleep and sleeping deeply, they very commonly dream. Some of the things dogs do while dreaming are twitching their feed as if they're running, moving their ears, moving their eyes, making chewing movements with their mouths, bark, growl, and whine. Most of the sounds are going to sound very subdued because the dogs do them with their muzzles closed, but some dogs are more vocal and will actually bark or whine aloud.

This is completely normal. It doesn't necessarily mean that your dog is having a "bad" dream, just that your dog is dreaming. Just leave her alone. If it wakes her up, she'll most likely just turn over and go back to sleep.

Manny

Although Manny never has barked in his sleep, he twitches and whimpers and breathes pretty heavy and sometimes will sigh or make like a whinnying (like a horse) sound. We call them night terrors. I'm pretty sure it's perfectly normal and sometimes it's silly to watch, whenever it happens and Manny is napping on our bed we go over to him and say "looook whooo's heeeading to Terror Town" then he wakes up and acts all cool about it.

Long story short...it's night terrors, and yes it's normal haha.

Manny answered on 1/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer