Sharna *2000 - Sep 2007*

My dog just passed away. How long should I wait to get another dog?

Sharna just passed away a week ago due to a paralysis tick. I am not planning on getting another dog soon but I was wondering how long you should wait to get another dog?

Asked by Sharna *2000 - Sep 2007* on Sep 19th 2007 Tagged time, how long? in Other Adoption & Rescue

Best Answer

Lucas Xenakis

I don't think there is a right answer for this. But when you think of all the poor dogs out there that need love and a home...I just think that Sharna would be proud that her mommy is making another pup's life better. No pup will ever replace her but it could help you to fill the void she has left in your heart.

Lucas Xenakis answered on Sep 19th.

Answers

Dylan aka Dilly

this question has no real answer.
reading about sharna broke my heart.
as for me, I usually have more then 1 dog at a time, but still have never waited very long.
you can never replace a lost friend. but I`m sure sharna wouldn`t want you to be alone either.and would hope that you give another dog a chance at the wonderfull life she had.
its so sad to come home to an empty house

Dylan aka Dilly answered on 9/19/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 5 Report this answer

Chloe

I agree, it's hard to measure because everybody heals at different times. For my family my pal, who happened to be a cat, left us around June of 2005. Mom really felt the house felt empty & wanted another playmate for me so she rescued Oreo, (my sheltie pal), around November of 2005. She couldn't get a cat because even the thought of it made her cry; it's taken her over 2 years to get another cat.

Maybe another alternative is a completely different kind of pet, or if a dog maybe a whole other kind of breed, (Mom said she's never getting a Persian cat again - her angel was just too special).

Chloe answered on 9/19/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 5 Report this answer

PRECIOUS MICHELLE

There is no answer to this question. I think if you just keep your mind and heart open, and browze the rescues, at some point a dog will choose you. You will see the soul through the eyes, and know that this is the pet you must have! None of we three were planned. We came into mom's life at various times, by different methods, and now we have a family!

PRECIOUS MICHELLE answered on 9/19/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 8 Report this answer

Maxwell

I personally think that having other dogs around helped heal my heart when I unexpectedly lost Max. I have one piece of advice: Never go searching for another dog to be just like Sharna. There is only one Sharna and will only ever be one Sharna. Whenever you do decide that the time is right for another dog, choose that dog based on it's own unique personality, not the high standards that Sharna may have set.

It's really up to you as far as "when". I personally do not feel rushed to find another dog, but I have 2 others to love and plenty of fosters that keep coming and going, so I do not feel the hole in my heart as painfully as I did before.

Maxwell answered on 9/20/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 6 Report this answer

Gunner

The time is different for every person, because no one grieves the same way. Personally, I would start looking after a couple of weeks, because I feel the best way to keep the memory alive is to save another life. This does not mean, however, that you should. Trust me, you'll know when the time is right.

Gunner answered on 9/20/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 5 Report this answer

Scooter, PAWS

I agree with the others. It really depends on when you feel ready. Mom got me one month after her fur angel Floppy passed away. But before Floppy, she had another pup named Lady and she waited 2 years. She just wasn't ready.

It should feel right. Good luck.

Scooter, PAWS answered on 9/20/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 6 Report this answer

Ascii the Wonder Pug Furever

When it is time, you will know. When Whizzy went to the Bridge, my Mom just couldn't have another dog for a few years. She and I were very close, and we needed a little time. But then it was time, we got Chelu and then Guy Noir shortly after. When it is time, you will find a new companion to spend your days with.

Your friend, Ascii the Wonder Pug

Ascii the Wonder Pug Furever answered on 9/20/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Hailey

We're all sorry Sharna past away, but what I've heard before is that there is no better cure than another dog.

Hailey answered on 9/20/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Queen Peaches of Pupingham

Hi Sweetie...

It'll be like how you found Sharna...you will know when the time is right and just have to take that pup home too..

I can't think of a better place for anypup to go..

Kissies

Queen Peaches of Pupingham answered on 9/20/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

★ Panda ★

I agree. No answer to this. Some people say they will never get another animal again because the pain was too much. Most people don't feel that way though. Some people feel its necessary to wait a year. Some people only wait a few days.
I agree that theres lots of pups out there that need a home, and your home would be a great place for them to get another chance.

★ Panda ★ answered on 9/20/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Murphy

Somtimes if like in your situation were you only had Sharna maybe waiting i think a month+ is good if you have another dog i say let fate work its magic. With almost all of our dogs, and pets, we got them well i can only say one word. F.A.T.E!

Murphy answered on 9/20/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Lucyy!?!! =]]

There is no real answer. It all depends on who you are. Though my personal belief is that if you truely do want a new dog you shouldn't have to wait. I doubt your dog would want you to be alone and for you not to be happy. Others may think you SHOULD wait but it really does depend. I'm sorry for your loss :(

Lucyy!?!! =]] answered on 9/20/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 4 Report this answer

♥ Pooh-Angel ♥

I agree... there is no timeline for this. It should happen when it feels right. When Mootie passed, it was very lonely and quiet and then we got Pooh. When Pooh passed, we already had Blackie and what a difference it made to have him around. BUT I must admit, I had a hard time loving him the way he deserved because I felt guilty, like i was disrespecting Pooh. I finally let go of the grief and guilt and loved him, and now I love Cashew too. Just make sure with in yourself, that YOU are ready!! Your Sharna would be happy for you too!!!

♥ Pooh-Angel ♥ answered on 9/20/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

BooBoo

I'm so sorry for your sudden loss of Sharna. When we lost my bunny brother on July 28, mom was devastated but a month afterwards, she was talking about wanting another bunny, (she's not getting one yet but she says her heart is open to another one) most people exclaimed "It's TOO soon!" Mom doesn't agree, she thinks if SHE feels ready then who can tell her what she is or isn't feeling? Everyone is different of course but don't let anyone tell you it's too soon or make you feel guilty about not waiting "long enough". Getting another dog doesn't mean you will forget about Sharna or you are replacing her. Sharna would want you to be happy and you will know when it's time.

BooBoo answered on 9/21/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

I, myself, wouldn't wait. This is, however, a personal preference kind of question. Each individual has their own grieving process, so therefore, giving a definate answer isn't the best in this situation. It may be a week, a month, six months, a year...maybe longer, maybe never. I was lucky when my Dutchess, Rowdy & Sadie passed away, for there were/are othe pack members. When Joy was murdered 10 years ago, I did not get another dog for 4 or 5 years. That was due to circumstance, not because I didn't want another dog. Her loss was devasting on me, as were the rest of my angels. There is nothing like the fuzzy faced kisses of a dog, so, get one when ready!!! So very sorry for your loss xo

The Fun Loving Family

We were all just heart broken to hears 'bout Sharna. Losing a beloved woof is the worst! Grief takes time and there is really no set or proper way to grieve. Some people are not able to get a doggy right away while others must find a new friend immediately.

I think because you are asking this question, it means you are ready to find a new friend. No woof will ever be able to take Sharna's place, but having a new woof to keep you company and lick your tears will in no way take away from the love you will always have for Sharna.

God bless you as you grieve, may you find a new friend to lick your tears and help you soon.

With much love, The Fun Loving Family

The Fun Loving Family answered on 9/21/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Sara

You should wait till it feels right in your heart. A new pet will never heal your loss but will add a new chapter to your family.

My Pepper, died in October of 2005 and I got my new dog in December of 2005, but up to the last second I worried about it. Also for the first year of Sara's life I took her to the vet for every watery eye, every sneeze, and every shiver. I felt that the lose of my first dog was my fault. He died of heart failure at a year and a half old. He had been the runt of the litter. I wasn't with him when he died and didn't know that he had a heart problem.

Looking back I should have waited to get Sara, because I hadn't forgiven myself for Pepper's death. But I glad I have her and she's my baby.

Only you will know when the time is right.

Sara answered on 9/21/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

sadie

i think you should wait a week or two and then go to the humane society

sadie answered on 9/21/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Only you and your family will know when the right time is to love and cherish another dog. Sharna so lucky to have had 2-1/2 wonderful years with her family. If you and her weren't at the right place at the right time, it would have never happened for her.

My heart goes out to you and your family. I can honestly say I understand too well. When you talk to Sharna today, please have her find Kodi, Rexx and Scuttles and give them a million hugs and kisses from me.

Bella

a few moths like 5 or maybe evean 6 moths

Bella answered on 9/21/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

hazel *WoOt WoOt*

whenever you want

hazel *WoOt WoOt* answered on 9/22/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Go when you are ready for another dog!!

Kimber

I lost my beloved Kimber in late August. I am already thinking about a new puppy but I am nervous about getting another baby. I know she(I would get a lil girl) would be cared for and spoiled rotten but considering the reason Kimber came into my life...It kinda makes me feel like I would be betraying her. All I know is loosing her left a HUGE Pom shaped hole in my heart and I will have to heal it. It is just a matter of when the right baby crosses my path I guess. When it feels right you will know.....

Kimber answered on 9/23/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Kobi

I dont know how long....but maybe when you recover the loss you can get another one....IDK

Kobi answered on 9/23/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

I'm so sorry to hear about Sharna. What a beautiful, wonderful dog.

I don't think there's any set time. Everyone is different.

I can only tell you my own experience. My lab mix Casey passed away in 2004 and I was devastated. I stayed in bed for about a month. I couldn't even LOOK at another dog for months.

I never thought I'd be able to enjoy the company of a dog again without the pain of his tragic death being there.

One day, a little over a year later, I literally woke up and realized that as much as I missed Casey as an individual, I also missed having a dog in my life.

We adopted Jack a few months later. Having a new dog to focus on was great, but it also brought some painful memories back and was hard to adjust to, on certain levels. I felt a little guilty at first for falling in love with Jack!

Everyone is really different, but I think that people sometimes don't take adequate time to grieve for their dog. Its like losing a person.

Take care of yourself.

Suzie

Very sorry for your loss. When you are ready for another dog, emotionally.

Suzie answered on 9/23/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

i would wait about 7 months iam so sorry lois y7x

Scooter

about a half a year to get over the pain i feel sorry for you

Scooter answered on 9/26/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer