My dog just got into a package of frozen salmon. He ate about 1/2" off the end. Is this dangerous for him?

He got into a small package of salmon frozen solid for a month.

Asked by Member 1158806 on Mar 12th 2013 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

I'm a little impressed. He must've worked hard on that. Salmon isn't poisonous to dogs. Actually, it's pretty good for them. It's used as a protein in foods for dogs with other meat allergies or sensitive stomachs.

Uncooked salmon is very poisonous to dogs. If the fish was cooked but frozen, then your ok. If it was raw frozen, then you need to get him to the vet ASAP. Good Luck!

Sandy

Raw salmon is not bad for dogs. My dog has freeze dried raw salmon dog treats!

Sandy answered on 3/12/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Kali..raw salmon is absolutely fine for dogs. There is a parasite in some wild pacific salmon, but freezing it kills them. Your dog will be fine, OP

Wiley is correct... the only raw salmon that is affected is in a small area in the extreme Northwest Pacific. Since much of the frozen salmon available is now farmed and not wild caught it makes it even safer and it is actually an excellent added protein for your dog. My dogs get raw salmon added to their food whenever I can afford it!
And, yes, freezing kills the fluke which causes the illness in the wild salmon/trout from the Pacific Northwest.