my dog just ate gum will anything happen to him? this is his first time doing it.
on May 24th 2008
in Other Food & Nutrition
- This question is closed.
How big is the dog? If your dog is little and the piece of gum was pretty big theres a possible chance he can get really sick from it. A lot of gums have a powerful sugar substitute called Xylitol, it can be really poisonous for dogs. I'd call your vet!
Murphy answered on May 24th.
It shouldn't hurt him. Did he eat the package and all? You might want to watch his stool, what goes in comes out, its the general rule of pooping. If he acts ill or can't poop that would be a sign of obstruction but he would have had to eaten a pretty large pack of gum for that to happen
Loomis answered on 5/24/08. Helpful? / 0
I agree that it's not likely to bother him at all. Just watch his stool to make sure it makes it way out!
Layla answered on 5/24/08. Helpful? / 0
Murphy is right about Xylitol being very toxic to dogs. If it was just a piece, it is probably going to be fine. I'd consult a vet if it was a whole package, though...or if the dog seems strange in any way, like being lethargic, vomiting, having a very loose stool or not eating or wanting to play. All those things indicate possible toxicity.
Jack answered on 5/24/08. Helpful? / 0
My dog ate half a package of Orbit bubble gum so I called the vet. They asked me to bring her in immediately as the artificial sweetener can cause liver damage in dogs. When I began giving her my information she apologized but they weren't taking new animals( Ih ad had my dog for only a week at this point). I called the ASPCA poison control center and paid fifty dollars to have them tell me to call a vet. I called another one. He laughed at my worrying and said to give her peroxide and let her vomit a bit.
I'd suggest just contacting the vet you find the most reliable. One thing I've learned is to put EVERYTHING away when I leave!