My dog just ate a whole pack of raw bacon....What should i do.

Asked by Member 776952 on Dec 5th 2008 in Swallowing Foreign Objects

Answers

Congradulate your dog on stealing a thanksgiving feast fit for a dog!

Your dog will probably get the runs, or just possibly get the runs, but it's stools will probably be a little runny.

Even though bacon is processed by adding nitrates to the pork, the end result is that the raw meat your dog ate is much more sanitary than the bagged dog food you purchase for your friend.

Don't worry about parisites or anything else. Your dog is fine!

If you really want to treat your dog, buy it a side of beef!

Raw bacon isn't good for a dog of course, but it generally won't hurt the dog. I once gave my dog some raw bacon to make her eat her medication.
It may give it the runs or make it throw up though.
I feed my dogs raw meat (one of them is on the raw diet), so the fact that the bacon is raw is of no concern.

The raw part is OK, but bacon is really fatty and packed with tons of sodium, so be on the lookout for an upset stomach and some diarrhea. If their stomach seems EXTRA upset, skip feeding for the day (in other words fast them the rest of the day) to allow their stomach time to settle.

Zoey

If your dog ate the entire package of bacon and it is a small dog I expect it will be pretty sick. That is too much fat at one time and it will uspet the dogs stomach pretty bad, if it is a larger dog, I am guessing it will still be somewhat sick and will have the runs and maybe even vomit. The main thing is to watch it carefully so that you make sure if it does get very sick dehydration doesn't occur. This would be more serious.
Good Luck!

Zoey answered on 12/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Pluto

Perphaps pancreatitis? See your vet. Vomiting is a sign, but not definitive.

Pluto answered on 12/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer