My dog isn't eating her hard food, why?

I have a 1 year old black lab and for the past few days she isn't eating her hard food. She has been on this food for a while now so this sudden change is alarming to me. She will eat her treats and she will eat soft food. I give her soft food every blue moon as a "treat". She does usually wait until we finish eating before she eats her food, to make sure we arent going to give her any (which we don't) or we don't drop anything. But recently she will sit there and wait while we eat, but then when we are done, she will go lay down or do something else. She is still playful though, and I don't think she is sick. Help please!

PS: also I was curious as to why she likes to steal our clothes. My friend who is a groomer said that it is because thats because they have our scent. Is that true?

Asked by Member 841214 on May 29th 2009 in Health & Wellness

Answers

I hope you can get her to the vet tomorrow. For most Labs, not eating means something is seriously wrong. I have always taken mine to the vet at the first missed meal. It has always been something the vet needed to take care of. Please don't mess around trying to find something she will eat.

It is also possible you have been over feeding her. Most Labs will wolf down more than they need, and look for more. See www.longliveyourdog.com If she is overweight, missing a few meals and then being fed a little less will be the best thing for her. PM me if you need more details.

Your friend is at least partly right. Given a chance, they take dirty clothes over clean. They also see we treat them as high value objects.

This could even be related to the eating. Some clothing she ate could be causing a blockage. That can be very serious. I just dodged a bullet. Our Golden just ate a heavy wool sock. Everything seems to have come out right.

There may be a few reasons she's not eating. If she's eating her soft food and treats, she's simply not interested in her hard food.

I would give her mouth a good thorough check. Sometimes, dogs can have toothaches or foxtails caught in the gums (dangerous and must be removed by the vet) and so the hard food hurts since it's crunchy. Has she recently been staying with someone else? Were you out of town and maybe someone gave her treats?

It sounds like she could be just being picky. If it goes on for more than a few more days, or if she has any other symptoms, I'd check in with the vet. Otherwise, she's probably doing her own doggie protest, hoping for better food.

And, on your PS? Yep, the clothing smells like us, we are the dog's "pack" and they like to smell like their pack so they often roll in out clothing to get our scent on them.

Now if only they could do laundry......

I would take her to vet to see if he can see any dental issues, sore gums or broken/loose teeth.
Then take her soft treats away if there is not a tooth mouth problem. Which would you choose dull boring kibble or yummy soft stuff, I think that could be one explanation?
I would also see if you can find a kibble perhaps more appealing to her. Maybe switch it out 50/50 to a food she actually likes. I don't know what kibble she eats, you didn't say?
Yes, stealing clothes is due to scent try a hamper with lid heavy enough to keep dog out. My dog use to find a bunch of articles lay them out in the middle of living room floor and lay on them til I got home from work.