My dog is wheezing. What's wrong?

I have a toy poodle and he is a year and a half old. Use to when he would get excited he would start wheezing and he would calm down and he would stop. However, now for the last week or so he wheezes randomly and for extended amount of time. What should I do to help him with this? Does he have asthma? Can dogs have asthma? It sounds like there is an excess amount of snot or flem that he can't get up.

Asked by Member 560196 on Jan 19th 2008 Tagged wheezing in Other Health & Wellness

Best Answer

This is a case where you need to take him to the vet, ASAP!!!

It can be an allergy, a doggie cold (kennel cough), he could have something or swelling in his airway, a foxtail in his nose, or he could have a congential heart defect and be in serious trouble. Only your vet will be able to give you an appropriate diagnois.

There are many reasons for this symptom, and they range from routine to serious and life threatening. However, it is NEVER normal for a dog to wheeze.

Good luck, and make sure to take him in as soon as you can.

Jack answered on Jan 19th.

Answers

I think asthma is pawsible. As fur what to do to help him, take him to the VET! This could be serious!!!

Whitie Speciality Germiquet

This could be anything pls take your dog to the vet and get him looked at.

My baby girl had damaged lungs from having Pneumonia and then Kennel Cough a year or two after that.

It could be Asthma but you will not know by asking questions so pls my advise is to pls take him to the vet it is better to be safe then sorry even if it turns out to be nothing
Tara

Whitie Speciality Germiquet answered on 1/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Donnie

I know this probably sounds horrible, but is it possible that your dog could have heartworms? Hopefully, you have been giving your dog preventative, but if not, I would seriously consider checking this out. I hope I'm wrong!!

Donnie answered on 1/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Harley

I have 1 poodle and 3 Maltipoos, I took one of them to the vet and she said this is a poodle trait, she actually gently sqeezed part of her throat and she actually brought on her "attack". It has to do with their trachea being small. What I do is put my 2 fingers and cover her nostrils to force her to breathe thru her mouth, (make sure you are not covering the mouth)and that stops it , altough it does stop on its own after maybe 1 minute. It seems lika VERY long time!! It would be good to have him checked in case it is something else.
Mine usually do it mostly when they get excited or if they have slept for a long time.
Hope that helps you.

Harley answered on 1/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer