my dog is throwing up and has the runs real bad

My akita/border collie mix is 2 years old, he has not been eatting regular for about 2 days now, last night I went from dry dog food to a can, just to see if he could get something down, he ate it all, and today he has the runs badddd and threw up his dry dog food he had for breakfast and his treat, I did give him a Tums, any reason for this? anyone had this happen before?

Asked by Member 745392 on Oct 1st 2008 Tagged throwingup, runs in Swallowing Foreign Objects

Answers

Hi. If you haven't already get your dog to the vet right away.It sounds like he has giardia or worse. I am not a vet but have had a lot of dogs. By the time you read this I hope you have been to the vet. Mike

When Deogie gets an upset tummy I will give him a bland diet for a couple of days instead of his usually dog food. Boiled chicken and rice, that usually makes him feel much better. Maybe possibly the switch so quickly to the canned food is the reason for his bad diarrhea. I would make a vet appointment.

The extreme diarrhea is your fault - you changed his food, so that is why it got worse. If he hasn't been eating normally for two days, a vet's visit really should be in order. It is possible that he has an infection of some type, and really needs to be treated if that is the case. Also, your vet will be able to diagnose what could be the issue, and how you can treat it at home. A bland diet is always best, but if he has been that sick for that long, you should see your vet immediately. Make sure that he is drinking normally until then - it is important that he doesn't get any more dehydrated. Good luck.