My dog is terrified of people other than my girlfriend and I or other dog owners whose dog she knows.

If someone approaches her to say hi or to pet her she barks at them and either backs off low to the ground or barks and hides behind my girlfriend and I. When we first got her 9 months ago, she loved everyone she came in contact with but now fears everyone. We socialize her a lot, take her to the dog park at least three times a week, take her on weekly runs through our local park, and have our guest feed/train her when they come over. She still though does not trust them, and will bark at them. Recently she showed aggression toward our neighbor when she approached our dog to say hi. Normally our dog will get low to the ground or try and hide but this time she pulled on the leash and growled. We are very concerned that her anxiety towards others is getting worse to the point of aggression instead of simply fear. Is there anything we can do to get her more comfortable around other people?

Asked by Member 1198027 on Nov 6th 2013 in Socialization

Answers

Take her to a dog training class where she will be forced to socialize with other dogs. There are doggie boot camps where you can send problem dogs, which is better than having her bite someone and have to be put down. You must be more forceful with your training and if that doesn't work, enlist the help of a professional in your area that can help you. Have them come over and witness the agression when it happens with others so they know how to best redirect and retrain your dog to be calmer and unafraid/ less possessive. Another suggestion is to adopt an older, more mellow dog that she can learn better behavior from, but this is not a cure-all, just a helper and boredom-solver. ^_^