Cinnamon

My dog is skinny, what is wrong?

We always have food out and is always available and I just don't know why she looks skinny!!! I see her eat sometimes, but she looks skinny and almost can see her ribs!!! I don't know what to do!!! My dad won't take her to the vet and we can't even get her spayed because he won't take her. If you know what is happening tell me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S: This is her Cinnamon I don't know if you can tell that she is skinny.I NEED HELP!!!!

Asked by Cinnamon on Oct 13th 2007 Tagged skinny in Other Health & Wellness

Best Answer

GUERO

it could be many reasons why she is skinny! it does not mean something is wrong!but if you see something is wrong the you should have her seen by a vet! you say you see her eat? so....? was she thicker before? or has she always been skinny? my dog is very skinny and i could feel his ribs but he is in perfect health! and about getting her spayed you should call your local shelter and they should have programs to spay her for free! i hope this helps! if she eats and acts normal she should be fine! if she doesnt them she should be seen by a vet. if your dad wont take her because of money call your shelter for help!try changing her food, puppy food should help her gain some weight!

GUERO answered on Oct 13th.

Answers

As far as I'm concerned, there are two issues here. The first is her weight. She could be thin due to disease, parasites or improper nutrition. Even if she has food that she eats, she might not be eating the right food. She could have worms, a common cause of weight loss, or even cancer.

The only way you'll be able to help her is to take her to the vet to make sure there isn't a serious underlying cause for her weight loss.

That brings me to the second issue. Your father is not taking a dog who may be ill to the vet.

That is neglect, according to common sense and decency, as well as the law in most places.

Please tell your father that if he can't properly care for Cinnamon, he needs to let you take her to the vet. Remind him that it is against the law to withold vet treatment for this dog and that it is considered cruelty to let her suffer.

Dixie

If there is any way at all you can get her to a vet, please do. Is there another friend or realtive who can help you take her? I saw your other question about the yellow poop. She could have worms, maybe you need to switch foods, I don't know. This is for you and a vet to decide. Some states have spay-neuter programs that will assist with the cost. You may want to check and see if your state does. Best of luck to you and Cinnamon.

Dixie answered on 10/13/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Angel

Hi, i have a labrador mix, and she is also very skinny. she always has food available as your dog does. i have been told that a great way for a dog to gain wait is to give them high calorie diets like puppy chow. i haven't tried it(i plan to) but many people who have say it is a great way for a dog to gain weight. about your dog being spayed call your local shelter, tell them your problem about your father, and they should spay her for free or at little cost. hope this helps!!!

Angel answered on 10/13/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

You also asked about Cinnamon's yellow & runny stools in another question...It could be parasites or poor nutrition....Honey your dog is sick & needs to see a vet...I believe that not providing medical care to a dog that needs it is against the law...Honestly, I'd call the Humane Society on your dad so he is forced to get her the help she needs.