Alice Juggalotus

my dog is shy around other dogs and people how do i break her of this?

My dog is shy at dog parks and on walks when she meets new people. She backs away and sometimes even hides behind me when met by the dogs and the people. I want her to stop this behavior but I need advise so i can help her.

Asked by Alice Juggalotus on Feb 6th 2012 Tagged hiding, shyness, fear, attatched in Fears & Phobias

Answers

Roscoe

Keep doing what your doing. My bully was the same way when I got him.

Take her to the dog park and let her meet the other dogs at her own pace. Make sure the trips are frequent and that you only stay as long as she's comfortable with. It's the same with meeting new people.
If she backs away let her come up and meet the stranger on her own terms. With a problem like this its best to use a slow and steady pace. If you push too hard she could feel threatened and lash out.

Hope it all works out for you! I know it's frustrating. :D

Roscoe answered on 2/7/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer