Cocoa

My dog is scratching and biting herself all over. She does not have fleas or ticks or skin irritation. Help? Please!

My dog is scratching herself all over and biting her fur. She does not have fleas or ticks or skin irritation. I don't know why she's scratching if she doesn't have fleas or ticks or skin irritation. Why? Please help! Thank you!

Asked by Cocoa on Oct 17th 2008 Tagged help, me in Other Puppies

Best Answer

In my experience, most of the time owners don't realize their dog has fleas. It only takes one flea to cause dozens of bites on a dog. And, sometimes, it's hard to see bites or fleas on a dog. If dogs bite at themselves when sitting still, or suddenly lunge at a body part and bite furiously, well...that's a hallmark sign that the dog has fleas.

Humans don't necessarily have to be bitten by fleas, either, so just because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there.

Try using a flea comb twice a day on your dog to see if you can find anything. It is high season for fleas in some parts of the US right now, and this is one of the worst years ever.

If your dog has allergies, it would be a case of itchies that goes on almost all the time, not suddenly. Paws would be licked and bitten and the inner ear flaps woudl be red and inflamed.

My advice? Treat for fleas with combing and meds. If itchies persist, see your vet.

I'll bet you it's fleas. :)

Jack answered on Oct 17th.

Answers

Teddy

is she on any flea preventatives? she may still have fleas even if they're not visible. her skin may also be dry. my dogs r on froneline but they still occasionally scratch and bite as if they have fleas. if she does it all the time, u may wanna take her to the vet for a checkup. good luck!

Teddy answered on 10/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Opus

Is she also licking or digging at her paws? It could be allergies. This is a big allergy season for many dogs.
If you are not sure if she is licking her paws, check and look for hair loss on them or pink skin.
The next step would be to contact your vet and ask about allergies.

Opus answered on 10/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Mimi

If you are sure it it isn't fleas, I would look at food allergies. I have a dog that can only have lamb and rice food or he starts chewing on his body due to constant itching. He also starts shaking his head because his ears start to bother him. You want to look for a food that has the least artificial ingredients.

Mimi answered on 10/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Maximum Capacity

I had a dog that did that. She would scratch bare patches on herself. There is a tiny mite that the vet has to use a microscope to see. Frontline didn't help any but Revolution took care of it. Also Revolution takes care of worms and ear mites. I know you can mailorder Frontine but not Revolution. That tells me Revolution has more stuff in it than Frontline. Kinda like the difference between over the counter Advil and prescription painkiller... if you have to get it from the Dr or vet, theres a reason. I just drop by my vets office once a month a pick some up, its not like you have to make an appointment for an office visit. Its well worth the trip.

Maximum Capacity answered on 10/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Darcy

My peekingese was allergic to fleas, so if she got just one flea bite, that was it. She scratched like crazy and I felt so bad for her. the vet gave her medicine, but there was a point where we were giving her claradin. Check with your vet though. She wasn't always like that, it started happening when she was about 7 years old. Good luck.

Darcy answered on 10/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer