My dog is potty trained- doesn't go outside at my apartment, but when I take him to my parents house, he pees inside.

My toy poodle/terrier mix 9 month old dog has been potty trained for a few months now. At my apartment I have bells on my door, and when he needs to go outside, he jumps on the door (rings the bells) and I take him outside. However, when we visit my parents house, he proceeds to pee/poop all over their house. I bring the bells home as well and hang them on my parents door. I have no idea why he does this, and it has to stop. Any suggestions?!

Asked by Member 1072060 on Dec 27th 2011 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Dogs don't generalize training. He probably doesn't know that you supposedly trained him not to potty indoors ANYWHERE, he thinks you trained him not to potty in YOUR house only.

When you go to your parents house, treat him like a little puppy and start over with training him. Keep him leashed to you, or crated when you can't supervise him. Take him out frequently, ring the bells on the way out (or however you originally trained him) and praise him when he goes outside. If you catch him about to potty in the house, interrupt him and immediately go outside.

Clean anywhere he peed or pooped extremely thoroughly because the smell will continue to say "Potty here!" to him.

Samwise (RB 7-21-2012)

Do your parents have any pets, even cats? Perhaps your pouch is marking his territory at your parents' house.
Otherwise, I agree with Bruno. Start over at your parents house like you're training a puppy.

Samwise (RB 7-21-2012) answered on 12/28/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer