My dog is now losing clumps of hair and his coat is dull and dry. What can I do?

Asked by Member 804909 on Feb 16th 2009 in Shedding

Answers

1.) take your dog to the vet and have blood work done to rule out any underlying medical conditions. make sure you also do a thyroid test (usually included in a blood panel, but sometimes not).

2.) ruling out any medical conditions evaluate what you feed your dog. Is it a high quality kibble/canned food free of unnecessary grains, fillers, and by products? If not check out dogfoodanalysis.com to find a high quality food.

3.) if you are feeding a high quality food (a "4" or above in dogfoodanalysis.com rating), I would add in a high quality EFA supplement like salmon or sardine oil. onlynaturalpet.com has an excellent selection of EFA/fish oil supplements.

Look down at his skin. Do you see patches forming and looking crusty? That is a sign of mites. A vet can take a scrape and see if there is mites. Mange is serious.
So to vet you go good luck.
If it is just shedding which it is time. You bathe with baby dog shampoo and rinse all soap out.
He may need some food with Omega in it and some salmon.