Josie

My dog is limping on her back paw

She started limping 3-4 days ago, but it's gotten worse, she doesn't cry or anything, but she doesn't put her paw to the floor anymore, can it be a sliver of glass or something in it, or her toenails?

Asked by Josie on Jan 9th 2009 Tagged limping in Health & Wellness

Answers

Angel Roman

Well, Josie isn't that old so it probably isn't arthritis. But - it could be anything. It Certainly could be her toenails. Are they too long? It also could be a cut or a blister up in the pad of her paw. Will she let you spread her paw apart and look at it? Smell it - does it smell rotted, bad, infected? You need to look at it and see what you can see. One time I was limping for a while and my Mom noticed and after she looked up in my paw I had a sweetgum tree seed ball stuck up in my foot. She pulled it out and I was better. Another time I wore a blister on my pad and she put neosporin on it and it got better. If she won't let you look at it or if you do and you don't see anything - It is really the best thing to go see the vet. She could have jumped and broken a toe or her leg. It is just better safe than sorry. Especially if you don't find anything. Good Luck and Pmail me if you want some more help.

Angel Roman answered on 1/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Take her to the vet!!!

lucky charm

Anytime something is going on different with my boy I always take him to the vet. It could be many reasons why your dog is limping and not putting her paw to the floor. I would take her to the vet to see what is wrong with her.

lucky charm answered on 1/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Peety

Those are all possibilities, also a tick bite can cause a type of paralysis in dogs legs, you don't mention breed or age, but many small breeds have a genetic defect called luxating patella, hope I spelled it right, where their kneecaps pop out of the socket, it can get worse with age & extra weight. If you can, try to examine her leg, entirelly, and of course her paw and between her pads.

Peety answered on 1/22/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

check her declaw.it could be ripped and that might be why she is limping.or she might of dog something in her leg or paw like a splinter.and even check her toenails they could have blood on them and that could be why she is limping.hope your dog gets feeling better.