My dog is in labor with her first litter, any suggestions?

My chihuahua is in labor with her first litter, we have researched a lot, I'm just looking for as much first hand knowledge of whelping as I can get. Any suggestions.

Asked by Member 816603 on Mar 17th 2009 Tagged puppies, labor, whelping in Answers

Answers

Katie

Have you taken your girl to the vet at all during her pregnancy? She should have been fully evaluated before breeding, as well as having checkups to make sure she's doing well.
Dogster is not a great place for emergency medical advice, but I can say that you should call the vet and get advice before anything goes wrong.
Meanwhile, please get your Chi spayed as soon as she's medically able to. Over 2 million dogs are euthanized every year in America, and with the recent success of "Beverly Hills Chihuahua," there is an overpopulation of this breed, with many suffering alone in shelters, waiting to die.
I'm sorry if this is harsh, but responsible breeders put a lot of time and effort into researching BEFORE their dogs are bred, and certainly are very knowledgeable before their dogs are in labor!
Please make sure your girl's puppies are sold or adopted out with a spay/neuter requirement, so their offspring do not end up with the thousands of other unwanted dogs in America.

Katie answered on 3/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru

It's too late now, I hope you can take the dog in right away for help on what to do. Take paper and pen, make notes, or have them give you directions of some kind.
Sounds like a unexpected litter. But, you need to get the dog help at Vets.
Hope all works out.

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru answered on 3/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Miss Buddie

Call the vet. Chis commonly have hard labors that sometimes require assistance.

Miss Buddie answered on 3/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Article on newborn puppy care:
www.chelsea

First litter? You bred her on purpose, then? Or was it an accidental litter?
The best suggestion I have is for the long term is to do your research thoroughly for at least two years before ever breeding a dog.

Simi and Maghony

I am going to be the best answer on her. (I hope) I have been on dogster awhile, and know what the dogsters are like. They ARE ABSOLUTELY AGAINST BREEDINGS OF DOGS! Never ever post your questions about litters here. You will get some pretty harsh comments. Try emailing my page, if you have anymore questions. 2 years ago, my rottie, Simi, had her first litter too. She had 10 beautiful puppies that I delivered for a whole day.

HERE IS WHAT YOU DO!
Get your baby to a secluded spot where she will be able to deliver in peace. Get plenty of towels, and be prepared to start your dryer, because you are going to want to keep the towels warm. Get a dog bowl and fill it up with ice. Pregnat females like this to keep cool. Make your her as comfortable as possible. Rub her stomach very often to stimulate the puppies to move. Once you do this, your baby will begin to pant. She will start to push. Email me at walkermeiba007@ymail.com for more info. here r pics of the pups now.

Simi and Maghony answered on 3/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Actually we are against irresponsible breeding...I am working towards being a breeder...My bitch is a champion with a BIS/BISS HOF/HOF sire & with nothing less than AKC champions in 4 generations....She is also fully health CERTIFIED & OFA'd & has her CHIC number...I have 4 responsible mentors & a reproduction vet...So obviously I am not against breeding...I agree with the others...& my best piece of advise as Chi's often need c-sections & go into distress in labor...Not to mention that the pups are hard to keep alive is to have a vet on close standby.
To the poster that said Dogsters are anti breeding...You are dead wrong...You might do a Google search for back yard breeder & responsible dog breeding & find out just why you got that impression....It shouldn't be too hard to figure out.