my dog is in labor how long between pups should she rest??? ty Julie

Asked by Member 568473 on Feb 10th 2008 in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Gizmo

It probably depends on what breed of dog she is. In my experience it takes bigger breeds longer to have each puppy. Last year our Shih Tzu was bred and the female had five puppies. It took her over three hours to have all of them. The first two took a little longer, about 30-40 minutes in between, but the last two were born pretty quickly-about twenty minutes apart. I thought she was done and she slept for about an hour and then she just had another one. It probably also depends on how many is in a litter and if this is her first litter or not. I would probably just ask my vet to be on the safe side as some breeds have a hard time having their puppies and end up needing a c-section.

Gizmo answered on Feb 10th.

Answers

Kobe

I wouldnt wait more than an hour between puppies. If the wait were longer than that I would be calling my vet and asking to get in right away for a c section. If you wait too long the puppies wont have oxygen and will die.

Kobe answered on 2/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you

The normal wait time is 2 hours.During these times I would let her rest for the first hour during the next hour I would get her up and take her out for a few minute exercise.This will stimulate her. If she has not shown signs of active labor by the second hur then keep a close eye on her and call your Vet to see what he/she recccomends. There is no difference in breeds.ave you had her to the Vet for an xray to find out how many pups she has in her?This should have been done with 3 days of her due date.

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you answered on 2/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer