my dog is in heat and is bleeding will she breed during this bleeding time or does it have to stop before she will breed

Asked by Member 816589 on Mar 17th 2009 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Katie

Hello!
Dogs in heat can get pregnant even if they're bleeding.
Your question tells me that you are not familiar enough with canine reproduction to be a responsible breeder. Please get your dog spayed as soon as you can! Here are some excellent reasons to get your girl "fixed" as soon as possible:
1. Dogs who are spayed are far less likely to get breast cancer.
2. No puppies means no chance of future generations suffering or being killed at the "dog pound." Over 2 million dogs are euthanized each year in America. Please don't add to this problem by having a fertile female in your family!
3. When your dog is in heat, she will attract every male (even a lot of neutered ones) within a wide radius of your home. You will have to isolate her to keep her safe.
4. If, God forbid, she were to get pregnant, she will have increased health risks throughout her pregnancy and may lose her puppies and/or her life, due to medical complications.
You just never know - so be safe, and have her spayed! GL!

Katie answered on 3/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru

I say listen to the first post. You should know the answer to this if you were a breeder or knew about dogs. sorry.
I say don't breed her please, have her spayed before something happens.

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru answered on 3/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

I think that you should do much more research before breeding a dog. This is a basic question. There are many more complicated, and more important, questions that you *need* to know the answer to.

You can start your research here:
cookiemiller.tripod.com

Be sure to research thoroughly for at least two years and get an experienced mentor.
I'm a breeder in training myself.

I agree with the previous answers. I am only giving you the rest of this information to help you get through the next couple of weks without her accidently getting bred.

The second and third weeks are when the most risk of accidental breeding is. Don't take this lightly. She will do anything to get loose and get to a male. Once loose, an accidental breeding and an unwanted litter is far from the worst that can happen. Such breedings can also result in fatal infections. She can get killed when she dashes heedlessly across the road in front of a car. Other dogs or coyotes may kill her.

You can expect the same thing about every 6 months for the rest of her life if you don't go ahead and get her spayed. There is no other answer, and no good reason not to. Besides saving the hassles, it reduces the chances of cancer later in life. Please make life easier for yourself, her, and society in general by getting her spayed as soon as a vet will do it.