My dog is having trouble pooping.... she tries and tries and she is unsuccesfull everytime. Nothing comes out. Any ideas

It has been about 12hours with this problem. Sometimes she gets very little watery poop.

Asked by Member 699903 on Aug 12th 2008 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Is she eating? How much is she drinking? Has she eaten anything strange lately? If she is eating and drinking normally, then she could have gotten into something strange and now has a blockage. This is something serious, and you need to take her to the vet ASAP. If she isn't drinking enough, and you can't get her to drink, she should also go to the vet. Dogs can get dehydrated very easily, and she will need an IV. Take your dog to the vet - I wouldn't take a chance.

Suzy ♥ Dreyfus

I agree with Sargent, this is serious...get to the vet immediately!!

I had a dog once who swallowed a rock with similar symptoms!! Time is of the essence!! Hurry!!

Good luck!! Let us know how you do.

Suzy ♥ Dreyfus answered on 8/12/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Courtney

As has been said - is she eating and drinking water?
My Courtney gets this problem....pumpkin - get some canned pumpkin and mix it in her food. Pumpkin is great fiber and will help solidify and ease bowel movements.

She may have a food allergy so It's important to find out what in her diet causes this. Coo-Coo can't eat beef anything, food, bones, treats.

Courtney answered on 8/12/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ki-Ki

Seargent is right, it sounds serious. The way to quickly check if she is dehydrated (as told by my VET) is to check the inside of her mouth with your finger. If it comes out wet - she is not dehydrated, the problem lies elsewhere.

If she is eating regularly, try to put 2 tablespoons of pumpkin puree (you buy it in cans but 100% pure - no sugar added) in her food. That would help with constipation if that is the problem.

Ki-Ki answered on 8/12/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer