my dog is having pups... what should i do?

my baby Cheyanne, a female golden retreiver, is pregnant. this is mine and her first litter and we need advice!!! what supplies should i have... when should i ween the pups.... how should i ween the pups... how big should the whelping box be.... HELP!!!! please answer asap the pups are 3 weeks off!!! i have the money for the supplies but no clue exactly what to have. i need advice from you experienced dog and puppy breeders/owners... thank you... Theresa & Cheyanne!^_^

Asked by Member 531027 on Nov 14th 2007 Tagged pregnant, newborn, pups, goldenretriever, help in Other Puppies

Best Answer

First, why did you breed her if you don't know what you are doing?

I highly recommend you got up to the forums and search "breeding" or "having pups". There are a bunch of other people like you who had these questions and I'm sure you'll find your answers there.

answered on Nov 14th.

Answers

Questions like this are always incredibly hard to answer.

There is that part of me that just wants to yell at you for breeding this litter at all since it's so painfully obvious that you don't know what you're doing. I will never understand why people feel the need to add puppies to a world where 4 MILLION of them are killed every year - counting JUST shelters in the United States! I understand it even less when matings occur with no plan, no education, no mentorship, no anything.

And there's a part of me that would like you see it through properly and responsibly now that she's already pregnant and is going to have these pups. There are a ton of websites on breeding and I'm linking two very good ones below that should answer many of your questions.

www.akc.org
learntobreed.com

You also need to get her in to your vet NOW to have her checked out. Also, make a spay appointment for after the pup's are weaned.

Moxie

Already great answers here, in addition to their suggestions - find a reputable breeder to help you through this and the whelping process and talk to your vet. Please, for the health of your dog and her pups.

Moxie answered on 11/14/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Jelly

The questions that you asked could be a book by themselves and are impossible to answer in 1000 characters. You should review some of the other Dogster Answers because some of these same questions have been answered. You should do an Internet search on the various topics and go to your local library. You have left this until the last minute so my advice to you is to hurry because there isn't much time. To name a few supplies you will need: whelping box, newspaper, towels, scissors, garbage bags, bedding, scale (to weigh pups), Esbilac (or similar milk substitute), dog "baby" bottle, vet phone number, paper, pen etc Call your vet now and get an examination for your girl. Start taking your girls temperature daily. Normally females whelp within 24 hours of a significant temperature drop. I wish you luck with this. After it is over you should sit back and think about if having puppies is for you. It is a big responsibility even for experienced breeders.

Jelly answered on 11/15/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

HAVING PUPPIES IS VERY HARD. LAST JANUARY I HAD A LITTER. MY MOMMY'S UNCLE WAS IN THE HOSPITAL AND HE DIED ON THE DAY MY PUPS WERE CONCIEVED. THE DOG-SITTER DIDN'T DO A VERY GOOD JOB OF SUPERVISING ME WHILE I WAS OUTSIDE(SINCE MOMMY WAS AT THE HOSPITAL), SO I WAS BRED. HER ARE A FEW LINKS TO THE DOGSTER FORUMS THAT I ASKED Q'S IN AND GOT A LOT OF GOOD ANSWERS
*www.dogster.com
*www.dogster.com
*www.dogster.com
I HOPE THOSE ARE HELPFUL

Jackson

Well,theres' nothing I can say that somebody else hasn't said yet.I think it all comes down to you should have done your research before breeding your dog!That's all I can say.Just refer to whet everybody else said and that pretty much covers it.

Jackson answered on 11/22/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer