My dog is determined to get into the litter box. Need help!

I have a 9 year old Jack Russell & have always had to deal with issues of her getting into the litter box.

I've tried everything I can think of. From domed litter boxes to shutting the room off to all animals when I'm away.

Shutting the room off helps keep the pup out of it, but the cats end up not waiting & urinating elsewhere.

I currently have the Simply Clean litter box
www.amazon.com
& while it keeps the cats happy, my pup still noses the top arm off & gets to the trash.

I cannot put up a baby gate because it's a heavily used walk way & one of my cats is unable to jump high at all due to old age.

Does anyone have suggestions of how I can keep all my animals behaved and happy?

Thanks!!!
-Rachel

Asked by Member 1156874 on Feb 25th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Chase

I've heard that if you put pineapple juice in the litter box (or maybe the cat's food?) the dog won't try and get into it because dogs don't typically like pineapple.
That didn't work for us because my dog likes pineapple.
What about one of those swinging baby gates? They mount to the wall and you push a button or whatever and it allows you to open the gate. It's sort of like a half door. You can buy nicer looking metal ones that are just bars, but a JRT might be able to squeeze through.
A friend of mine got around her cat (17) not being able to jump over the gate by lifting it far enough off the ground that the cat can crawl underneath but her dog (Miniature Schnauzer) cannot.
I'm super fortunate because I have a claw foot tub so I just keep my litter box there so Chase can't get at it. 'Cause she loves the treats she gets from there haha

Chase answered on 2/25/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Gwen

There is a relatively new litter box called "clever cat" that dogs can't get into. You might want to try it. My dogs don't get into the litter but my friend had a good result with the clever cat. It has a hole in the top so the cat can get in but not the dog. The only issue was one of her cats was too fat to fit through the hole. It stopped the dog, though.

Gwen answered on 3/2/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer