My dog is crate-trained. How do I punish my dog for bad behavior in lieu of putting him in his crate?

Asked by Member 863210 on Aug 1st 2009 in Crate Training

Answers

Well, dogs live in the now. You only have a few second's timeframe to successfully correct them for an act. This is why "time-outs" do not work for dogs when it comes to teaching them *not* to do something.

There are two fields of punishment. Positive punishment, which is adding an element in. Positive punishment is like slapping them or using a prong or electric collar.
Negative punishment is taking an element away. Such as not giving a dog a treat until it obeys your command.
(When it comes to rewarding, positive reinforcement is rewarding a dog for good behavior. Negative reinforcement is simply not punishing because they obeyed.)
Believers in positive reinforcement, like myself, also use negative punishment. We believe that it is possible to PR and NP exclusively, without using negative reinforcement and positive punishment at all.

How you punish him depends on the situation. If you would clarify, I can tell you how I'd correct my dog for the same behavior.
You need to know more about training methods and such, so I recommend that you look up some training books. One I highly recommend is "The Dog Whisperer: A Compassionate, Nonwiolent Approach to Dog Training", by Paul Owens with Norma Eckorate.

Patchs

After your dog does a behaivor you do not want, you only have a 2-3 second window of opportunity to correct it successfully. If it takes you ANY more time than that your dog will not be able to tie the correction to the behaivor. Time-outs are a waste of time. They do not work!!!

If you catch the dog "in the act" a sharp "NO" or a "BAD DOG" will get your point accross just fine. Consistancy in your rules and corrections along with a solid set of rules is the way to make good dogs and teach them *exceptable* behaivor.

Remember, dogs live in the now and it does no good to correct or "punish after the fact.

Patchs answered on 8/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Katie

First, define "bad behavior," so you can be clear in teaching him.

Here is what we did to stop Katie's bad behavior (nipping, jumping, chewing non-toys, counter-surfing, etc.)

1. Keep a leash on the dog inside during training.

2. When the dog misbehaves, re-direct (give a toy instead of your shoe to chew, or give a command like "sit" as an alternative to excessive barking, then treat for the sit).

3. If re-direction doesn't work, when the bad behavior happens, say "ah-ah" (better than saying "no," because you're less likely to shout).

4. If the "ah-ah" gets his attention, great! Re-direct. If not, and the bad behavior continues, calmly pick up the leash and walk him to a safe, boring place (laundry room, back yard, etc.)

5. After 5 minutes, let the dog back in with you and resume normal play/hanging out.

Dogs love to be with us. They learn quickly that "ah-ah" means isolation, and will stop bad behavior as soon as they hear "ah-ah."

Make sure he gets lots of exercise, too! GL!

Katie answered on 8/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer