my dog is chewing herself till she bleeds on her back and her legs and under her body can you help me ...

my dog is a black mouth cur and around two and half years old...

Asked by Member 922884 on Nov 26th 2009 in Skin Problems

Best Answer

Scarlet, CGC

Take her to the vet. She could have anything from an allergy to mites or mange. They'll do a simple skin scrape and find out what it is. You wanna treat it now before it spreads. Also, you want to make sure it's nothing she can spread to you! She's chewing cuz she's itchy. Good luck!

Scarlet, CGC answered on Nov 26th.

Answers

I agree also with the mites. For a variety of reasons it sounds like she has a serious issue with her skin. The vet can take a scrap of the dog's skin and look at it under the microscope to see if there is any mites and they can also determine what type of mites. There are also fleas and dog lice.
The vets can give you medicated shampoos and medicine. I would not wait as the bleeding areas are going to get infected and then require additional treatments and that means more money.
good luck and I hope your vet finds the reason soon.