Rocky

My dog is around 10 years old. Is it too late to breed him? If not how do I find a mate?

Although my dog is 10 years old he is still very much full of energy.

Asked by Rocky on Dec 23rd 2010 Tagged breeding in The Dogster Website

Answers

I would advise against it. Breeding can be risky for both dogs. There is a lot to do before breeding...getting a mentor, health checks, xrays, getting homes for all the puppies beforehand. It should all be done in the spirit of improving the breed, not because one thinks the dog should mate/have a litter in their life. If you are interested in breeding goldens I would suggest you start researching now, & contact a reliable breeder for a future pup. Then you can enjoy Riley while you learn all you can to be successful.

Buckeye

I don't like the idea of dog breeding unless all of the puppies will all have homes, both of the dogs are at a good age to mate and both of the dogs are healthy.
Rocky is 10 years old. I wouldn't risk the chance of him mating with another dog. He's getting older.

Buckeye answered on 12/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

♥ The Doogers ♥

Yes, It's too late to breed him.

♥ The Doogers ♥ answered on 12/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Zack

Unless he is a carrier of some extremely rare trait that is crucial to improving the Golden Retriever breed, I would not risk it. Breeding is expensive, time consuming and there are many risks involved for both the male and female. It may be done in cases of rare breeds or where the dog is really exceptional (multiple conformation/sport titles, etc.) but it general it is probably not recommended. Also, if Rocky injures the female during breeding, passes along a disease, or passes genetic defects to the pups, you are responsible. Do you know how to prevent these things?

If you want a puppy that is like Rocky, you should look at his pedigree and see if you can locate a reputable breeder who is breeding dogs from the same lines. The puppy would still be related to Rocky, but you would have the comfort of knowing it came from a very reputable, knowledgeable, experienced breeder who is there to support you throughout the life of your dog. And there would be no risks to Rocky's health.

Zack answered on 12/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

With a house full of different dogs, both genders, I'd be surprised if he's not neutered.

If he is indeed over 100 pounds as his profile says, he is over sized and not a breedable dog.

We all love our pets very much. It makes me sad that 4 million are put to sleep every year because there are not enough homes for them. It's important NOT to add to the pet population, in hopes that more of those 4 million will be placed in loving homes.

It's not his age that's the problem... reputable breeders will sometimes use older studs, since they don't have to take the strain of pregnancy and nursing pups like bitches do...

What matters is whether he really is breeding quality. I'm sure he's a very nice dog, but is he special? Would you have guaranteed good homes for every puppy? Would they be better than any other Golden Retrievers that need homes already (because they would be taking a spot another dog could fill.)

Golden Retrievers are already terribly overbred. I would leave breeding them to people who have studied it and know exactly what they're doing.

Even the most prestige studs out there are retired from breeding way before 10.
And also , like Bruno, health matters, and what the dog has accomplished. Like field sport champion, health certified for breeding ect.
It is best to go to a professional kennel and buy another puppy.
Or you know., there is some really nice ones in the shelters all over america. I am sure you could find a great dog who is wanting a home like yours to be loved. :)

Kazba

No it is not to late. It is not as big a deal for the male as it is the female. But the things to think about is he may not be able to mate or the puppies have a better chance of having problems. But I do agree with alot of the others. I would not breed him unless you are willing to take a part in the cost and responsibility of taking care of the puppies not only with good health, but finind good homes for them all.

Kazba answered on 12/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

lady

yes he is to old to breed around the age of 7 or 8 is when they should stop breeding.

lady answered on 12/30/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer