my dog is allergic to frontline. What can I use for fleas?

When I used frontline on my husky she began having seizures. She has fleas this year and would like to know what I can use that wont cause her to have them again but will kill the fleas

Asked by Member 993248 on Jun 19th 2010 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Talk to your vet. Most of the better alternatives are prescription. Let your vet help you wade through all the alternatives and select one with ingredients that shouldn't cause a problem. There are many good products out there, one right for your dog.

Unfortunately, most of the topical flea meds have the same active (and inactive) ingredients. So she's likely to have a reaction to anything else you try, like Advantage, for example.

What you might do is consult your vet about a pill like Program, which prevents flea eggs from hatching. It's a monthly pill given with food and while it doesn't REPEL fleas, it can cut down on the population of fleas on her body.

You can also use a basic flea comb and comb her twice a day and wash her bedding and vacuum every day or so. It's a lot of work at first, but once you work these things into your routine, it will be quick and easy and you can keep about 95% of the fleas off her this way.

Also ask your vet about Capstar, a pill that can kill fleas within 20-30 minutes and works up to about 24 hours.

But be sure to ask specifically about any kind of crossover allergy potential.

Talk to the vet, yes, but don't forget that yet another alternative is natural treatments. Garlic powder, for example, can be used to for flea control. Works for some, doesn't work for others. (Didn't work for my Papillon mix.) I've run into a few people recently who use apple cider vinegar (the safe kind) and I'm trying that. Can't say how it's working out so far.

Yup, I did talk to my vet about natural treatments last year, she said it should be fine to try. That said, I rely less on the vet than many people would recommend, mostly because I believe in using holistic and organic stuff wherever possible and the vet I go to is a modern-medicine type. So I basically believe that while modern medicine can be useful, I disagree with how many vets are taught to rely on it. Modern medicine tends to treat symptoms rather than find the cause and eliminate it.

Check out www.mypetfection.com. They offer a 100% Organic and Non Toxic Bug Spray. It will keep fleas, ticks, and mosquitos away, and heal up any bites she already has. There is no chemicals in PETfection products so you shouldn't have the allergic reaction. Hope this helps!!