Daisy

My dog is afraid after attack on walk

Daisy has always been great with dogs. On a walk about a year ago a dog ran out of it's yard and attacked Daisy...she greeted the dog with a wagging tale and was terrified by the attack. She wasn't hurt, physically, but was emotionally. Through many walks she has gotten so much better, we can get through a walk without her freezing in fear.

I understand that she feels that I didn't protect her, and now doesn't feel safe with me. I don't know what I could have done differently, I hauled the dog off of her immediately.

Last week it happened again, different dog this time. I got between the dogs and tried to keep them seperate until the owner intervened, which wasn't really possible.

The next walk she freezes even when there were no dogs to be seen. I don't think she's getting the 'vibe' from me as she often sees the dog before I do and I feel relaxed and calm.

I don't know what to do to help her. Advice??

Asked by Daisy on Apr 13th 2008 Tagged attack, fear, anxiety in Fears & Phobias

Answers

♥Tiffy♥

Have you done anything about the 2 dogs that attacked her? Call authorities or something. I really feel bad for Daisy becaus she looks like all she is is a big teddy bear. You are going to have to slowly gain her trust back. MAybe you can start off with dog parks if they have them in your area. Take her to a place where there are "behaved" dogs in a calm environment. Keep Daisy on her leash and slowly introduce her to other dogs. She has to learn that all dogs will not attack her and that you are still her protector, but sometimes things happen beyond your control. They key is consistency. Also, when you go for walks, you are probably scared for Daisy and she picks up on that. First, you have to get over her being attcked and push it to the back of your mind and move forward. Daisy needs positive reinforcement.

♥Tiffy♥ answered on 4/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer