Vader

My dog is acting more anxious than usual

Lately Vader has been more anxious than he usually is which is from separation anxiety. Hes been whining nonstop and unsure about where to lead when I ask him what he wants and after a while he finally goes to the door to whine meaning he wants out. I take him for a walk then he does his thing and we go home and only a minutes later hes whining to go outside again I take him for a walk again and often he tries to drag me on another walk or to simply lay outside. Something else I've notice is my mother got him a pig ear to chew on a couple of days ago and he didn't want to eat it instead he picked it up and whined at the door as if he wanted to bury it, what he did was lay it in a neighbor's front yard then drag me on a walk. He has been checking on the pig ear since then but refuses to take it home and I figured he was trying to give it to another dog. Today he saw another dog he was friends with but the owner was being a grouch and didn't want them to meet. Vader got upset and (cont)

Asked by Vader on Feb 25th 2014 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Pineapple Smushface

Sometimes you should let your dog smell what he wants, and sometimes you need to lead. He is not well-trained enough if you let him drag you around needlessly, or if he will not listen. Do NOT take him in and out numerous times; that breeds bad habits. My dog goes out 3x a day and she can hold it for 10 1/2 hours, probably longer but I don't make her hold it longer than that. The pig ear is not the issue- basic training is. Sit, stay, leave it, come etc. are necessities... does your dog really obey? If not, it's time to train again, from the beginning. As for the anxiety, you can use calming spray in the car before he gets in, establish a routine so that he knows what to expect, try calming collars and pheromone sprays, play the DogSitter DVD, etc. Whatever works for your dog, be it treats, or a Thundershirt, is a good choice... but trial and error will be the only thing that ultimately guarantees what will and will not work when it comes to relieving your dog's stress level.

Pineapple Smushface answered on 2/25/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ichabod

If he is not altered, he may be reacting to a Female (in heat) in the area.

Ichabod answered on 2/25/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

He sounds bored. I'd spend some quality time throwing a ball, working on obedience training, taking him to the dog park, getting him some doggy play dates, etc. When you're busy, occupy him with puzzle toys or with peanut butter frozen into a Kong. Maybe he would like a job, like agility or protection training.

I wouldn't make him hold it all day just to prove a point your dog wouldn't understand, though. Do you only use the bathroom three times a day like clockwork? That's terrible for your bladder, annoying to listen to your dog whine and carry on, and incomprehensible to the dog, who is trying to communicate with you. Why not manage his behavior instead and engage in bonding and stimulating activities to keep everyone happier?

Separation anxiety can be treated. Here are some tips for dealing with minor cases:

* Leave a piece of clothing that smells like you, such as a shirt that you’ve worn recently.
* Don’t make a big fuss over arrivals and departures. Ignore your dog first for a few minutes when you get home, then pet him calmly.
* Use a certain word or action every time you leave that lets your dog know you will return.
* You can also ask your vet about drug therapy.

When treating dog separation anxiety, remember to never use punishment as this can aggravate the situation. Don’t place your pet in a crate as he might injure himself trying to escape. Getting another dog doesn’t help either because his anxiety is not just about being alone, it’s the result of being separated from you.

Maya

I have a Husky. She will sometimes act like this is she does not get enough exercise. Thundershirts work well for anxiety. Also, try running him or taking him to the dog park for an hour or longer everyday. Tiring him out will help tremendously. That really seems to help for most dogs that need a job.

Maya answered on 3/3/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer