my dog is 2 yrs. if i get him fixed will he stop peeing on everything or is he too old.

i want to get him fixed for other reasons too but my main reason is because he pees everywhere to show my moms dog hes the king dog. he is 2 yrs. and i want to know if it will make him stop.

Asked by Member 780116 on Dec 15th 2008 in House Soiling

Answers

It COULD make him stop, yes, but it probably won't be the answer to your problems, no. I am glad that you have decided to neuter your dog - this is VERY important and beneficial to you and your dog. He began marking because he was not neutered, and this could also have been a behavior he learned whether he was neutered or not - he is being territorial, and I have seen dogs who ARE neutered still mark. Neutering will help you get rid of this behavior. You will need to follow him around and watch him closely. Keep him leashed when you are in your home so you can keep him close to you. When he has to go potty, take him outside with the leash and have him go with the leash still attached. If he goes to lift his leg, pull on the leash firmly and tell him 'no'. You can purchase a cotton long line, which is quite long and will make your dog feel as though he is not on a leash because you won't need to follow him around the yard necessarily. This will also, more than likely, provoke his behavior, which will give you the opportunity to correct it. You have to pretty much re-train him, but it can be fixed. One of the breeders I purchased one of my first Dobermans from used to keep fly swatters around her home and just tap their bottoms if they went to mark - obviously the fly swatter didn't hurt them, but the noise frightened them. I have never used this method, but she did swear by it. I would neuter him first, and then try the long line. Please message me if you have any questions. Best of luck.

Miss Buddie

Dogs mark for a lot of reasons. Definitely have him fixed - for lots of reasons. He will be happier and healthier for a long time because of it.

Miss Buddie answered on 12/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Dexter

It probably will not help to have him neutered. It might or might not, who knows. This is more of a training issue. If there is another male dog around, he will still want to assert his dominance, whether he is 'fixed' or not. Try going through basic training-housebreaking-again. It should help him with this issue. If not, he may need professional obedience training.

Dexter answered on 12/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Promise

It may help, it may not. Either way, neutering your dog is a great idea. It's safe, and can eliminate the risk of tesitcular cancer for him. When you neuter a dog, it reduces his testosterone (hence his dominance behavior in marking). This is not always why he may mark as I have seen female who try and 'mark' so that they can be viewed as dominant. Good Luck!

Promise answered on 12/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Birdy

Get him in for the big snip ASAP.

That being said, yes as others answered this could be behavioral issue.

There can be a myriad of reasons why your dog is doing this:

1) Did you ever train your dog to piddle outside? If not, you can ALWAYS start now. Please contact your local petstore/vet and ask them for guidence. House training is simple to do but the time it takes depends on how diligent YOU are in getting your dog out to wee and being quick on the draw. You see a leg getting lifted, you need to take that big boy outside. PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE!

2) It could be a dominance issue. You need to make sure your dog knows who is boss. Be a leader and they will follow. Make your dog know who's house it is... try training/tricks. look at me etc...let your dog know who is boss. :)

3) It could be an illness. Does your dog drink a lot of water? Make sure to let your vet know next time you are in for shots or check up day. Or if it is bad enough call your vet.

Good luck.

Birdy answered on 12/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Tiberius

For all the reasons from the above answers getting him neutered is a great idea.

Just wanted to tell you - I am 3 - I was marking in the house sometimes (especially when my 4 leg cousins come to visit). I got neutered about 2 months ago and I have not marked (in the house) since.

It worked for me it just might work for you.

Tiberius answered on 12/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer