Beethoven

my dog is 1 year old can i still crate him

i want to know if i can crate train my puppy still i got him and he is a year old doxie

Asked by Beethoven on Jun 16th 2010 in Puppies

Answers

Brutus

Of course you can still crate him. I have a one year old Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier who has been crated since he was seven weeks old. I do not crate him every time we leave, but if you feel that should be done, that's fine. I know someone who has a thirteen year old Beagle that they still crate. So, yes, it is not a problem as long as you have the right sized crate, and plenty of comfortable toys or blankets/bed inside.

Brutus answered on 6/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

McKayla

Of course you can! If you are comfortable crating your dog, then by all means, do it.

As long as you are dedicated, you can crate train any age of dog. Make sure that he understands that the crate means positive things. Start by feeding him his meals in the crate. Put treats in the crate for him to eat. Put his favorite toys in the crate for him to go in and play with. It needs to be a completely positive experience.

Some dogs will use their crate for their napping spot, a place to get away from it all, and many other reasons.

We no longer use a crate for our dog, but it is always out and available. We "test" her a few days every week to make sure she still understands the "crate" command, and she always receives a yummy snack when she abides by the command. She puts toys in it, plays in the crate, and has even been caught napping in the crate.

Crates can be a good tool as long as it isn't abused. Make it a game for you and your doxie!

McKayla answered on 6/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer