My dog is 16 and has been deeply hyperventilating for the past 2 days. What's wrong with him?

My dog is 16 and looks like a miniture black lab. He has many anxiety problems, is deaf, and half blind. He has a scream like bark since he has no hearing or knowledge of how loud he is and has been waking up the neighborhood at 2 in the morning these past few nights. He has been hyperventilating for the past 2 days now and only stops when he's asleep. He has cut down on eating and paces back and forth on the front porch and has been sleeping on top of his cage. He has also been making daring attempts to jump off of the 6 foot balcony to get loose. What is wrong with him? Has he just gone crazy from old age or could something medical be wrong with him?

Asked by Member 1173027 on May 31st 2013 Tagged health, hyperventilating, behavior, old, senior, anxiety in Health & Wellness

Answers

Pineapple Smushface

Both... you need to take him to the vet for a senior well exam to find out. If he's already had one, then a regular check-up and the vet's knowledge of the dog should suffice. To reduce his anxiety, try calming chews, treats, collars and room sprays. I am a fan of the room sprays, especially for frisky cats. He could be sick, having dementia etc. Check him for fleas, splinters etc.- anything that would be obvious, before you make the appointment, and good luck! He's an old man and I'm glad he has a caring owner to look after him in his waning years! ^_^

Pineapple Smushface answered on 2/20/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer