Wade (Bubba)

My dog hurt his nail on his back paw. Any home remedies or suggestions?

Basically he cracked the nail at the side so I can see the fleshy stuff. It doesn't seem to be infected with puss and it is not bleeding and the nail itself is still fully intact. He walks fine but at night and during the day when I'm not home he licks it (but not overboard). I have soaked his paws in the bath with warm water and epsomsalts. It's been a few days now and it still looks the same, no infection. Do you think I should take him to a vet or is there something else I can do at home?

Let me know :D
Stacey

Asked by Wade (Bubba) on Jan 31st 2008 in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Jimi (Jimi Hendrix) RIP

My dog Jimi seems to be unlucky when it comes to breaking or ripping his nails. The first time I took him to the vet and they trimmed it back a little. Told me to keep it clean and try to soak it daily in warm water. It healed in about a week-10 days. The next few times it has happened I called the vet but they told me just to treat it as the last time. I try to keep his nails trimmed very short-this is a good prevention-but still happens one in a while.

Jimi (Jimi Hendrix) RIP answered on Jan 31st.

Answers

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!!

A trip to the Vet for assesment would be a good idea.some time the infections can start up in the paw so just make sure he is ok and ask for some antibiotics just incase.

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!! answered on 1/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Atlas

Yeah, you should take him in. I've had 2 nail issues...(1) I came home to a bloody scene when Izaak somehow popped his nail in half. Vet said that as long as it stayed clean and stopped bleeding, he'd be fine and to watch for possible infection. Luckily the nail grew back, although I didn't think it would. (2) We woke up one morning to Atlas' leg EXTREMELY swollen. Vet trip got us some x-rays and her leg had to be lanced and drained. She had the drain in for over a week and placed on heavy antibiotics. Turns out she had clipped her dewclaw on something, and for whatever reason, because it was NOT BLEEDING, it caused the pressure/blood to build up in her leg and get infected. ALL THIS HAPPENED IN LESS THAN 10 hours. So, about $800 later, she was good as new. There was no way to prevent this from happening but vet said if we hadn't caught it in time, her leg would have ruptured from all the fluid and pressure and she could have lost her leg--over a dewclaw injury! So go to the vet!

Atlas answered on 1/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer