My dog hurt his leg

My dog hurt his leg,it's not something in his paw...He will only lightly apply pressure if he walks but if he runs he holds it up.back right leg.He doesn't cry or whine at all..Could it bea pulled muscle.?

Asked by Member 1086437 on Jan 22nd 2012 in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

Sanka- I'll Miss You

Depends on how long it has been going on. Personally, if there are no visible injuries and the dog doesn't seem to be in significant pain, I'd give the dog a few days to work it out. If it's still a limp after that, it's off to the vet.

Some dogs are more sensitive to others, so bumps and bruises and other little things can make them limp. If your dog is a particularly tough dog, then limping would be a more worrisome symptom.

Sanka- I'll Miss You answered on 1/22/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My first thought was a pulled muscle or tendon. He may have over extended himself or twisted his leg while running. If you are up for massage, a great product to use is PETfection Joint Massage Oil. I used it on my weim's leg when he pulled a muscle and it really seemed to help. It is designed to reduce inflammation and help with pain. Normally strained muscles/tendons/ligaments require rest, so minimal activity is in order. Depending on how bad it is, he may need up to 2 weeks rest on it. I hope this helps and he is feeling better soon!