My dog hurt her paw pad somehow; a layer of the skin/pad is peeled back, she acts like it's sore; what should I do?

Asked by Member 979696 on Apr 4th 2010 in Health & Wellness

Answers

I'd think it's probably VERY sore if a layer is peeled back.

You should take her to the vet. There's not a lot that you can do at home and it should be checked out by a vet especially since it's hard to tell from your description if this is a superficial or very deep cut. It sounds like the latter.

Hope she's better soon.

Teddy

Im sure it is very sore. Unfortunately, that is the one thing that there isn't much we can do. A vet can give you some antibiotic ointment to keep it from getting infected, and maybe be able to wrap it, but wraps are very difficult to keep clean and even harder to keep on.

Your vet can give you some pain killers as well if she seems to be in alot of pain.

Out here in my wooded property, this has happened several times. I have been lucky, they have all healed well without meds or vet visits. But yes, it is very painful for them.

If your dog doesn't seem to be in agony, only a little sore, you may be able to watch it closely to make sure no infection sets in. If your dog really seems to be hurting alot over it, it would bring you both relief to get her some pain meds. It is so hard to watch them hurt. :o(

Good luck to and your dog!!!

Teddy answered on 4/4/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

since those types of injuries can be severe your dog should see a vet asap to prevent any further pain and suffering.

Petri

Clean the area with cool water and make sure no junk is stuck to the paw pad or in the cut. A fantastic product to use after cleaning is PETfection Paw Cream. It is designed to heal cuts in paw pads and relieve pain. It is antibacterial and will block out infection. I personally think it is a miracle cream!! I use it for everything. Plus it is 100% Organic and Non-Toxic so you can apply as often as needed, and don't have to worry if your dog licks some. Check it out at www.mypetfection.com. Best thing to do is wrap her foot up with a sock or gauze after applying the cream to give it time to soak in.

Petri answered on 4/5/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer