my dog hates to go for a walk

He's 16 months old and a medium sized Yrokshire Terrier. He runs and hides as soon as he sees his lead. I have a soft harness for him and long and short leads, both of which he hates. I've had him for 6 months and during that time he has never been frightened by anything during his walks. He's been checked over by the vet, so no problem with his health.

Asked by Member 848446 on Jun 23rd 2009 in Leash Walking

Answers

Katie

Hi there!
I don't usually recommend The Dog Whisperer, because many people try to do what Cesar Millan does and end up hurting or frightening their dogs when using (or mis-using) his techniques... but in this case, I can tell you that in Season One, Cesar had a great idea for a dog with this problem.

He took a new leash that the dog had never seen before (actually, just one of those cheap blue-and-white plastic leads used by animal shelters), and stuck the leash in his pocket. After meeting the dog, who was not afraid of him, he picked her up and carried her a few blocks from her house. As he was walking and talking and still holding her, he slipped the leash over her head, then set her on the ground and headed home. She balked at first, but he kept distracting her and she followed him home. After that, she accepted the leash from her human family.

I don't know if this will work for you, or if having a "new" person was part of what worked for them, but it's worth a try. Good luck!

Katie answered on 6/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Are you using a mesh harness?
Those although probably comfortable are for dogs that are more comfortable with the harness.

I'd go out and get a new harness like suggested.
One with less material touching the dog.

Let him wear it around the home.

Give him treats just for wearing it.
Now harness is a treat.

Next clip the lead (new lead as well if your dog runs and hides) to it.. don't walk him, just clip and treat.
Let him drag the lead through the house, and give him treats.

Next pick up the lead (don't walk) And treat.
More treats..

Next try to take a step, and treat.

(you should still be in the house)

Take a few steps in the house, and give a treat.

Take it off.

Your dogs going to be like.. hey.. I want treats.

But, thats enough for one day.

Just continue trying to take steps inside first, cause outside there are noises and distractions.
Once he seems comfortable inside, then go in your own yard.

Soon, you will have a good walker.