Bud

my dog hates storms. what he does is get under the grill and gets soaked, when he has a dry dog house on the porch.

Asked by Bud on Jul 6th 2011 in Fears & Phobias

Answers

Daisy Mae

If you leave your dog outside when it's storming & you know he's afriad, I'm wondering why. The frist thing you should do is bring him in. There are 2 schools of thought on fear of storms; 1 is to try to ignore the bad behavior as comforting the dog could reinforce the bad behavior. (I myself have never been able to do that.) The other thought is that your dog is terrified; it's ok to comfort him. I found a middle road; my dog finds a safe place IN THE HOUSE, & I turn on the lights (He can't see the lightining as well) & crank up the TV or radio. He usually stays in his safe place--my dog likes the utility room between the washer & dryer--until the storm is over & then just takes a nap. but you really should bring your dog in during storms. You might see totally different behavior.

Daisy Mae answered on 7/6/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree with the previous answer. It seems downright cruel to make any frightened dog remain outside during a thunderstorm!!
Not only is it not safe...your dog could easily be hit by lightening, but imagine how frightening it must be for him.
I would strongly suggest he be brought into the house during any electrical storm, even if he is confined to a crate while inside.