Scout

My dog hates her crate, but is not pottytrained.

I just adopted her. She's already 2 years old. SHe cries at night & will not go in willingly. I have to place her in and give her a treat. Is there another way to potty train her?

Asked by Scout on Sep 9th 2009 Tagged terrier, schnauzer, training, crate in Crate Training

Answers

B.J., CGC

Keep it up with the crate... it will get better and soon she will go in happily. It is the best way to keep her from soiling in the house when you aren't watching her.
However, another way is to actually leash her to your bed at night... that is of course if you want her to ultimately sleep in your room. Most dogs will not go where they are sleeping so that usually works pretty well.

B.J., CGC answered on 9/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

We slept next to the crate for comfort for a while. After a while the dog gets used to the idea you are still going to be there in the morning.

Train the dog to go in and sit stay for treats. Don't close the door at first. Wait until the dog relaxes before you tell him to come out. No reward when he comes out - no attention or fuss at all. The message should be "good stuff when I'm in - ignored when I come out".

Vary and extend the time with you further away each time.

Be patient, getting a new dog can be stressful. I agree that you have to make her crate comfy and fun for her. A pillow and some toys with treats. Leave the crate open when you are home, give her a treat at night when you are putting her in and if you can, place the crate in your bedroom so your dog can see you. My dog liked it better when I put a towel over the top, just partially covering it. I know you may be stressed right now, but hang in, dogs learn quickly, be patient, consistent and try to associate the crate with fun things, throw a toy or ball in there when you are playing with her, she'll get used to it! :) Good Luck

It takes time. Provide lots of exercise when she can be with you.
She has lots of adjusting to do.
So hang in there, reinforce going into the crate with a piece of cheese or ham.
Then same with pee/poo ,reinforce with a piece of ham or cheese / praise only or whatever the dog responds to better.