MY DOG HAS WHITE FLATLIKE WORMS IN HER STOOL. I DONT HAVE THE MONEY FOR A VET AND DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO.

I WAS OUT WALKING MY DOG AND NOTICED AFTER SHE WENT POOP THAT THERE WAS WHITE FLATLIKE WORMS IN HER STOOL-A COUPLE INCHES LONG. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO AND DONT HAVE THE MONEYT TO BRING HER TO THE VET.I COULD NOT FIND A PIC SO I DID NOT KNOW WHICH THEY WERE EVEN...

Asked by Member 812838 on Mar 8th 2009 in Worms & Parasites

Answers

Benny

I don't what they are but it sure doesn't sound good. Please contact your local SPCA and animal control department to see if there is reduce-fee or sliding scale vet in your area. Your dog needs medical attention. If you let something like this go too long, it could get worse and more expensive. Do the right thing for your furry child.

Benny answered on 3/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Issey

They sound like flatworms, which certainly aren't good!!!! Please contact your local ASPCA as soon as possible.

Issey answered on 3/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥ Delia ♥

There are a number of different types of worms. Sounds like tape worm if they are long and flat which dogs get if they eat a flea. You will have to bring the dog to the vet if this is what specie it is so your dog can get the proper medication to kill off the worm. It could be detrimental to your dogs health if not taken care of. This procedure is not expensive you bring in a sample of your dogs stool and they will test it and give you the proper medication. You also might have a low cost vet you can take them to like a Humane Society or SPCA. But this is something that you should not wait on because it can kill your dog depending on the worm.

♥ Delia ♥ answered on 3/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It sounds to me like it is tapeworm. You will need to take a fecal sample into your vet and get treatment. Over-the-counter medicines will not work, so don't waste your money.
I know at my vets office, its actually the vet techs that view the sample and no vet appointment is needed. The cost for this is fairly inexpensive.
Here is a pic...

www.thepetcenter.com

Those are tapeworms. They are nasty and can multiply blocking the intestinal tract.
I would advise taking dog to Ver for proper meds to rid the dog of them

Finn

I got my puppy from a Humane Society and he also had worms exactly as you describe. They are tapeworms and the dog got them from eating flea eggs. They are very easy to get rid of. The vet will give you two Cestex pills that will probably cost $15 MAX for both. The dog is given one that day and the next couple of times she poops the worms will come out in her stool. The second pill is given as a follow up three weeks later. Needless to say, it is important to get rid of the stools with worms in them as soon as possible. She should also be treated for fleas if she isn't already. My puppy was totally cured very quickly and has been fine ever since. Hopes this helps!!!

Finn answered on 3/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Believe me, I know what it is to have limited money. My family is below the poverty level AND on a fixed income . However, we still take our dogs to the vet as needed. We use the credit card if we have to, and if needed we can ask Dogster HQ for permission to ask for donations from Dogster members. We can also set up the vet bills on a payment plan if needed.
If the time came when we ever could absolutely not afford vet care at all, then we would give our dogs away to friends or family that *could* afford vet care.

It would not be easy, but I only want what's best for my dogs. Dogs need vet care. To withhold it from them for any reason is dangerous and risky.

PrincessMorningstar

They are tapeworms. They come from when a dog ingests an infected flea, or flea egg. Been their more then once with dogs through the years. Only a Vet can diagnose
them properly with a stool specimen. He will either give the dog a shot to kill them, or a pill. Either way the dog needs a second shot or a second pill ten days later to break the breeding cycle of any worm eggs still in the dogs system. It is not expensive.
Left untreated and the dog will start to vomit them up & his weight will drop significantly and wear and tear on main organs will cost even more in vet bills.
A good preventative is to treat your dog with a
tropical flea prevention every month. I use K9 Advantix and have not had any reoccurring issues with tapeworm.
Pawlease do not try to treat your dog with over the counter deworm meds. They can have far more side effects if you give the wrong type or dose.
So a Vet visit is a must. Wish you well.

PrincessMorningstar answered on 3/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

sounds like tape worms, they get tape worms from eating fleas. the fleas must be taken care of as well as the pill you give for the worms. the worm you give every three weeks for two rounds. but if you don't get rid of fleas, you are spinning your wheels.

and don't ever ever use sargents or hartz flea protection - causes serious problems. get the real stuff from a vet supplier

They are called FlatWorms. Best way to treat them is go to your nearest Walmart and get demwormers for like 25 bucks. Or you can try the tobacco trick. Go out and buy plain loose tobacco thats not already packaged. Then put it in the dogs food (preferably wet food) so the dog doesnt know about it. Put a pinch in for smaller dogs for larger dogs use a three finger pinch. Do this three times if no improvement Try again if still no improvement you should be able to find cheaper vets for low income house holds if not try and call the humane society near you and tell them whats going on they normally help u out for cheap.