My dog has suddenly become terrified of the wood flooring in our house, what do I do?

I have a 2lb Yorkshire Terrier who is turning 4 years old this month, and for the last week she's become completely terrified of the wood flooring in the house. This is the first time I've seen this behavior and I'm not sure of what to do, She stays on the carpet or rug areas only. She'll whine and cry at the bottom of the carpeted stairs if we're all downstairs in the living room where wooden flooring separates the two places.
I moved her food bowl onto the carpet in the living room and have been her ferry across the wooden floor but I don't want it to get any worse - I know that ferrying her across is only supporting her fears so I need to find a way to get rid of her fears quickly.

Asked by Member 1017882 on Jan 4th 2011 Tagged wooden, flooring, fear in Fears & Phobias

Answers

Tucker Max Small Paws

Put her leash on her and take her over the floor in question. You can have some treats in your hand to give her as you walk across a room. Give her lots of encouragement. She needs a positive experience to replace one that might have scared her and which she associates the wood floor with. Be patient. You can have nice, classical or other soft music playing and be very calm and encouraging but now overly so. Good luck.

Tucker Max Small Paws answered on 1/4/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Start with placing a temporary runner on the wood floor. Guide her across that with lots of praise and treats. Slowly begin to move and/or fold the runner to reveal more of the hardwood beneath -- start in small sections. Continue to treat and praise as she makes her way across. Eventually leading up to taking away the runner completely. Slow and steady wins this race since she obviously has a fear here; trying to rush it along will probably not work.

Maybe she slipped and is now scared. Make sure the fur on the bottom of her feet is very short and her nails are also cut short for better footing. There is also paw wax for show dogs which give better footing. Is her eye sight ok?