Leo

my dog has started barking and lunging at people during our walks.

He does not do it when my boyfriend walks him, just me and my mom. He also doesn't lunge at EVERYONE, so I can never really know when he is going to do it. He even let my older neighbor get close to him and pet his head. THEN he went bananas. its completely unpredictable. As soon as the person walks away he is back to being happy and loveable. we have never had aggression issues before. I'm the only person in my building with a dog. if he doesn't straighten up my landlord is going to put us out!

Asked by Leo on Feb 10th 2014 in Behavior & Training

Answers

I would consult with a behaviorist. It sounds like he's being "Reactive". You need to figure out what his "trigger" is. Good Luck!

Sandy

If your housing is at risk I wouldn't walk him in the neighborhood. Drive somewhere else to walk. Walk him on a very short 4 foot leash and get a good harness or gentle leader. I like the harnesses that hook on the side. For potty breaks make sure u use the short leash and harness or gentle leader and try to get away from the building.

Sandy answered on 2/10/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

SNEAKERS

He's clearly in a "Protective" mode with you ladies and not with the Male. I suppose you could change his behavior, but, do you really want to suppress that instinct ?

Careful what you ask for.

SNEAKERS answered on 2/11/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Pamela       -    Adopted!!!!

Since he doesn't do this when a man walks him, it is a reaction to insecurity. Question is always, is it you or himself he's concerned about. In either case, when your BF walks Leo, Leo is NOT in charge.
I agree you need to see a trainer. Leo needs to know this behavior is not acceptable, you are in charge and he is just as safe with you as he is with your BF.
Mean while keep the leash short, make him sit, do not let him lead.

Most important, keep calm. If you get tense every time people approach, he will coil and be ready to spring. Better to calmly step aside, sit your dog and make him stay.
Use food or toy as distraction or reward.

Pamela - Adopted!!!! answered on 2/11/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Short leashes and a new walking area aren't enough to protect the public from your dog. You need to consult a behaviorist right away, but, until you get the situation under control, you also need to muzzle your dog if you're going to bring him in public.

The incidents that you discuss in your question add up to a reasonable expectation that your dog will bite someone because you can't control the behavior of other people, including children, or dogs that you encounter while you are out. The consequences of this could include: your eviction, the seizure and possible euthanasia of your dog, and legal action being brought against you and your mother.

As a person who has been bitten by a dog and knows how painful it is and how much it costs to treat dog bite, I urge you to protect the public, yourself, and your dog, even if it means you have to explain to people that your dog is having some problems right now and you are working to resolve them.

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

I agree with Libby. Right now your dog IS a liability and you need to get a handle on this before someone gets hurt and you are dealing with a lawsuit.
Please contact a certified behaviorist for help. Not all trainers are the same and you might end up with much more serious problems. A certified behaviorist has been trained specifically in these types of behavior issues. Your local vet should be able to put you in touch with a reputable behaviorist in your area.

Toto, CD, RN, CGC answered on 2/11/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Socialization is the answer to your problem. You might want to enroll your dog in a behavioral training class.