My dog has recently started peeing inside the house. Not marking, full out and out peeing. He has also started to show

dominance towards me, biting etc. Any idea on what could be causing this problem? He is about 6=8 months old, a pit bull/lab mix and is deaf.

Asked by Member 602205 on Mar 2nd 2008 in House Soiling

Answers

Begonia Vincenza G. Gira Sole

Check out your daily routine--scheduled walks and train train train train him constantly. No rough housing. Also, don't rule out a urinary tract infection. Is he neutered? Sit - Down - Sit - Down - Sit - Down--a trick before anything good and also for nothing other than that's the expectation! That's what it took to get me in line! Good luck.

Begonia Vincenza G. Gira Sole answered on 3/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would take him to the vet to rule out a UTI, like the other pup mentioned. Sometimes, dogs who have urniary tract infections start going inside the house and it is usually a lot of urine.

Once you have a clean bill of health, I'm afraid you're going to have to go back to step one with the housetraining. That is the most effective thing to do with a dog who starts peeing in the house again.

At 6/8 months old, when was the last time he had an accident? If it has been less than a month or so, it is possible he was never really trained (in his mind, anyway-LOL!) Regardless, going back to step one works well.

As for the aggression, you should probably seek help from a trainer. It is really hard to give advice about what to do with an aggressive dog over the internet because it is a delicate situation. The last thing you want is to do something that makes things worse, so investing time and effort in a trainer is my advice.

Cami

For the change in attitude, since he is just a pup, he may be trying to establish himself as the "alpha." It is important that you remind him who's in charge and since he is deaf it's a little different situation, but still the same idea (just with out verbal commands). Let him know immediately that his behavior is unacceptable and correct it. One of the best punishments that i've used with dogs is just ignoring them until the undesired behavior stops and then praising them when they are behaving.
I don't know your situation at all but don't baby him since he is deaf (i've just known someone who had a deaf dog and let him do whatever he wanted because the owner felt bad for him - even though the dog didn't know the difference.)

Cami answered on 3/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My dog recently started that, I already had a doggie diaper, so I began putting that on her at night. She soon stopped and I supposed it was just a behavioural problem. Hope that helped!

P.S. I got the diaper at Petsmart if you need one.