Cira

my dog has lumps all over her torso and tail.

Hi, I just recently noticed my dog is getting (itchy) lumps, possibly hives.??? I used to have them. I dont feel anything is in the house, i have sprayed the house, washed the sheets, the only thing i can think of is i bring her to the park, and people feed her treats, can she be allergic, should i look for a bug. im worried, her dr appt is monday.

thanks :)

Asked by Cira on Mar 8th 2008 in Skin Problems

Best Answer

Just keep watch on the lumps between now and Monday, and if you think she's worse, don't hesitate to get to the emergency vet. Always better to be safe than sorry.

The fear with an allergic reaction is the closure of the airway. Let me be clear: I'm NOT saying this is happening to her, but allergies like hives are sometimes more than just a topical skin allergy.

Any shortness of breath, wheezing or swelling of the face should be considered an emergency, so watch for any of that.

Benadryl is usually safe for dogs in a smaller dosage than for humans, but I wouldn't give any medication to a dog without a vet's approval, especially in a situation like this.

Now, you mention that you've had hives, too. Is that recently? If so, then you could be having the same thing effect you, both, especially if you had them within the past few weeks.

Having said all of this, she will more than likely be just fine, but just be on the lookout for other signs or changes.

Jack answered on Mar 9th.

Answers

Makia 1996-2008

The Vet is your best bet to find out what's going on. You can give your dog Benadryl if its really itchy. Here's a website with more information. You should only do this if Cira is really uncomfortable.

animalsunlimited.net

Good Luck!

Makia 1996-2008 answered on 3/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mud

Hey, this has happened to me a couple times. Give her some benadryl. See if that helps, otherwise go to your vet appointment. If it is hives, your vet will most likely tell you to give her benadryl. But try benadryl first (it won't hurt if its not hives, just won't help). If that doesn't help, let the vet know you tried it.

Mud answered on 3/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mojo

Hi,
Recently I came into the house with lumps and bumps all over my tail, torso and suddenly they spread to my face and YUCK! I looked terrible.

It was Hives. Everyone on another forum told me that's what it was, but "Daddy" is Mr. "Take Him to the Vet!!!!!!!!!!!!" (overly protective) who told him, "He's got hives." Oy. Benadryl. That'll do the trick, OR, they'll disappear on their own, so no worries.

Love,
Mojo

ps. haven't read any of the other replies cos I can't read but boy, wait till you read my new novel.........coming soon to a bookstore near YOU!

Mojo answered on 3/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer