Moo Cow

My dog has horrible allergies. Anything I can do for him?

He has been on benadryl, prednisone, and hydroxyzine. Diet has been changed but still he chews on his feet, itches his head/eyes, and his ears always itch but he doesn't have drainage, odor, or an infection. I've tried medicated shampoo also.

Asked by Moo Cow on Sep 10th 2010 Tagged alergies, itching in Allergies

Answers

for me, I have never personally had a dog with severe allergies. I am very careful about bathing, diet and not having any of my dogs on meds.
I don't know exactly what to tell you other then sometimes meds can actually increase it, as meds carry their own sets of reactions to the body.
Medicated shampoos are going to sometimes increase problems as well, like drying out the skin, even having a reaction to some skin types too.
Predisone is a steriod it has many side effects and hydroxyzine is pretty strong too.
Benadryl, I as a human are allergic to that, it makes me very crabby, i can't take it.
I don't know what you changed in the diet, but it might be time to remove the meds. I find that a no grain diet does help itching. also look on dogster for the raw forum. ask them some questions.

Eliminating whatever causes the allergic reaction is the best medicine.
It may be food, pollen, or contact/environmental allergy.
If he's fine in the winter but miserable in spring, summer and/or fall it's probably pollen.
If he improves away from home it may be environmental. Carpet, latex, cleaning solutions.
If he's always uncomfortable then you can blame food.
Beef, Chicken, corn, wheat, soy, eggs are the most common allergens for dogs, in approximately that order.
A food elimination diet can help pin point food allergens. Cut out ever source of beef, including treats and medications (chewable heartworm is beef flavored). If possible cut all the above allergens and see if you get any improvement.
Pawmail me about his food (what brand, variety he's eating), and any other info that narrows the cause of his itch.
Hope it can be resolved, poor guy!

Rudy

My Rudy has the same problems. She seems worse in the summer and fall, but not too bad in the winter, so my guess is pollen, but we are giving her benadryl and it doesn't seem to help. We took her off the prednisone, which seemed to work, because we are afraid of the many side effects. It's so hard to know what to do. We may break down and get the allergy testing, which is very expensive, but at least then we will know. If she is allergic to pollen, I'm not sure what we will do, hopefully we will find a medicine that will work. My vet said that she went to a conference on pet allergies, and one of the specialists recommended regular-strength reactine. I may try that.

Rudy answered on 9/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer