My Dog has had very bad Diarehhia for the past two days Is there something I can give him? Should I be concerned?

Asked by Member 1123751 on Aug 2nd 2012 in Illness & Disease

Answers

Dogs get diarhea for many reasons. Worms, allergies, stress, colitis, EPI, to name just a few.
If there is blood in the stool..vet! ASAP.
Keep him hydrated..lots of water, or pedialyte. You can try a Tbs of cooked pumpkin added to his food.
If he is my dog, & was vet checked, this is what I do (my guy has chronic stool issues):
First..try pumpkin.
Next..I fast the dog for 24 hours. Then he gets at least 2 meals of plain, boiled, mushy rice. If this helps, I add a bit of boiled chicken to the rice for a few meals. Then I add a bit of kibble to the rice & chicken, gradually increasing the kibble & decreasing the rice.
The hardest part is the fasting...I always feel so bad when I see those sad eyes. I sometimes break down & give him a homemade biscuit...but it is much better to start the protocol on a totally empty stomach.
Good luck. If he is no better by tonight, I would make a vet appointment.

I do agree with Squam's answer, but wanted to make it more clear, unless you KNOW your dog has chronic gastrointestinal issues (like he does) and have already been to the vet multiple times about it (like he has) I would be going to the vet right now. Sudden-onset, very bad diarrhea for multiple days is not normal, especially if he's always had solid bowel movements before this. (Not trying to dig at you Squam... just wanted to emphasize this point.)