My dog has fleas and nothing I have used is helping. He is a maltese and I am thinking of shaving him. I have used har

HELP!!! My maltese has fleas and hartz and sargeants are not helping. He is acting crazy and I am thinking of shaving him to get rid of them. Can anyone suggest why these may not be working or what I can do asap! Thanks for your responce.

Asked by Member 507620 on Sep 26th 2007 in Flea & Tick Prevention

Best Answer

Please go to the vet and get Frontline Plus. The stuff you buy at the store is usually ineffective and can be very unsafe for your dog. Even with Frontline (which you should apply monthly) you will still need to treat the source of the problem to get rid of the fleas and the flea eggs. You will need to wash all bedding and you will need to vacuum, vacuum, vacuum. Make sure you vacuum everywhere including the furniture. When you are finished vacuuming remove the bag and place it outside away from the house so that the fleas can't climb out of the bag and reinfest the home. You should vacuum everyday for at least a few weeks.

answered on Sep 27th.

Answers

Pebbles

Frontline Plus! You get it at the vets office! If not try online. Try it! It will work on white dogs in which fleas are attracted to white. 24 hours fleas are dead!

Pebbles answered on 9/27/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Definitely get Frontline. If that doesn't work for your dog, try out Advantage. Both are similar, but sometimes if Frontline doesn't work as well, a dog does better on Advantage.

Your vet will give you the right dosage and also application information since its important to put it on correctly.

Fleas are bad all over the country this year, and you really do need something strong like this. The stuff in the stores don't really work and aren't as safe as Frontline.

You might also want to put your dog on the Program, which is a monthly pill that you add to their food. This kills any flea eggs that might be on your dog. This double whammy treatment leaves most dogs comfortable, with only the occassional "passenger."

Also, get a good flea comb from your vet or pet suppply store. Make the flea combing a part of your daily routine. Just do it once in the morning and once before bed.

If a flea does get past, you'll catch him before he makes the dog miserable!

Buster

as other users have said, use frontline plus and if you do not feel comfortable applying it yourself, have your vet apply it for you. my mom works as a groomer and a groomer will not usually take a flea infested pet in until the flea treatment has been applied/soaked in for a day or so for the liability of all the other pooches in the shop. as for shaving your pooch, it's not going to fix the problem--they're just going to run to another end of the pooch during the shaving process and run back to the body after it's completed. they're sneeky little fellers.

your dog *may not* (i use this loosely) have fleas but lice. lice are VERY common among malteses and have been a major problem out west this year, but it's nothing to be embarrassed about! when you stop in the vet, have them take a quick peek--just to make sure.

good luck with your itchies and don't forget to vaccuum up the house!!! :o)

Buster answered on 9/27/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Dallas

we use Frontline Plus on me and Sassy Girl it works great and we have always suggested it to other but have heard it doesn't work on all dogs. we always kinda ignored that. but we have found out first hand it doesn't work on all dogs. our little brother Rascal is a Shih Tzu and it does not work on him. they have come out with a pill that pops is going to check in for Rascal. The rest of us will continue to us Frontline. there are some shampoo that work good and other sprays that you have to use a couple times a week until they are all gone. you will need to spray, the floors, beds, yard everything until you get them all plus the flea eggs

Dallas answered on 9/27/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Bentley

Ast your Vet for a topical that last 30 plus days. They will gone in 24 hours or you can ask for the shot that work immediately but is only good for a few day.s

Bentley answered on 9/27/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My vet just gave me resolution for my mini dachshunds.
It kills fleas, ticks, ear mites, worms, . I also have used frontline Plus and like it too. I would bath your dog first in Blue Dawn dish liquid and use an old wash rag. You will be amazed at the amount of fleas it gets off your dog, then rinse and do it again. But definately use a good monthly flea med recommended from your vet.
I got my frontline Plus from Petshed.com