Bosco

my dog has dry itchy bumps on him, vet says its nothing but dog is miserable, What is it? How can i help him?

we thought is was food related, but Im still not sure..I have changed his food eleminating certain ingredients but no change.... We thought is was something around the house, changed everything... Then thought he was allergic to fleas, treated him and the house... but there sre so many stray cats around the fleas are EVERYWHERE. My Dog is super itchy, uncomfortable and irratable.

The bumps are Dry, hard, like bug bites. No oozing liquids or heat. they are on his hip area and he is SUPER itchy where i put the flea drops on his neck. What could it be? i cant afford $100 for every scraping the vet wants to do.

Someone help please. Thank you so much!

Asked by Bosco on Oct 27th 2009 in Skin Problems

Answers

I am afraid you have little choice but to pay for the scrapings. Likely you can save a little by going back to the old food since the new didn't help. Too often people change the food first instead of tracking down the real problem.

Pamela       -    Adopted!!!!

Every Site I read regarding Skin scrapings is that they are usually negative unless the dog is wall-to-wall with skin mites.

I have had two dogs over the years (rescues) they both had "bug bites" on the belly, inside back legs and under armpits. It was Sarcoptic mange which is highly contagous and very treatable.

Information from my Vet and internet web sites is to treat on symptoms - NOT a positive skin scraping, which as I mentioned you won't get!

Your description is exactly as I would describe the sarcoptic rash - bug bites or pimples. BTW, people can get them from the dog if there is enough contact. I had them on my left calf because Pamela would glue herself there all the time this summer. They don't live long on people, but they will drive you mad with the itching.

Pamela - Adopted!!!! answered on 10/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Fritz

Hi, changing the food is a good start; it is often the problem. Are you still having a flea problem? If so, treat your grounds and house and dog on the same day. Do it again in 3 weeks. Even after the fleas are gone, your dog will be itchy until the bites heal. Until the fleas are eradicated, you cannot consider them ruled out as the problem.

Look for a vet who is willing to work with you to try to keep your costs down and is knowledgeable about skin problems, some problems can be eliminated by treating for them, it the problem goes away, you probably guessed right.

However, once you have gotten rid of the fleas and gotten your dog on a high quality food that contains no corn, no unnamed meat/protein, animal digest, or by products, and found a knowledgeable vet, it might just be more cost effective to do the tests and treat the problem then it is to have multiple vet visits and products. Your time and costs can add up to more than the more expensive treatment costs.

Fritz answered on 10/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

awww, poor guy.
sorry to hear he is so itchy.
I don't know if he would lick it off, but I ran across a great skin lotion.
He could very well be allergic to it also., but the name of it is Wound Lotion, made by 21st century,(white bottle with purple and gold lettering) it is excellent for bacteria on the skin.
It is great smelling, light, and you rub a dab into the skin.
It really helped stop the itch on my dog. And it seems to kill bacteria as well. If your dog's area is not too big you can apply after a couple of minutes the dog liquid bandage spray. That was two great items I had great luck with this summer. Both I bought at only Petsmart. The lotion was like 8.99 and the spray, 6.99. hope this helps you.

Maggie

If you're bathing him too often sometimes a rash like what you're describing can pop up. Try changing shampoos. Something with oatmeal in it could possibly soothe it. Also, I'm hoping they still make this, but try feed stores, like the kinds that sell stuff for horses and cattle. Ask them if they have something called funjisan, I have no idea if that's how it's really spelled. I've used this (liquid) so many times in the past and it works wonders on everything from hot-spots to mange. You just apply it to wherever you see a problem. A little goes a long way with it and it's not exactly cheap so that's a good thing. It's for horses and dogs and I think cats. Also, you said he's super itchy where you applied his flea treatment, he many have developed and allergy to it. At any rate, if you vet isn't helping you out at all with this, which it doesn't sound like, I would consider a new vet. just make sure you get copies of all your test result and shot records to show the new vet.

Maggie answered on 10/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

dry itchy bumps on canine; dog with allergies;
POOR kid - Yes - see here: this shampoo kit may help - it worked for mom's maltese kid.
en.allexperts.com