my dog has diareaha off and on. Were trying white rice and cottage cheese. Any other suggestions?

Asked by Member 454721 on Dec 29th 2009 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

The best solution is to take the dog to a vet and find out WHY it keeps getting diarrhea! Dogs cannot digest milk, and in many dogs, cottage cheese will CAUSE diarrhea. In order to correct the problem you do need to find out what is causing it... parasites, allergies, IBS, or any number of other issues which a good veterinary exam will uncover and treat.

Shiver Me Timbers

From experience, white rice with ground hamburger or slices of chicken is best. Cottage cheese will cause diarrhea and isn't healthy for them in the first place. Not a good idea.

Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie" answered on 12/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If a dog is having trouble keeping anything down or continuing diarrhea try this out of the manual I have from a large, knowledgeable dog guide school. I think they know more about dogs and cottage cheese.

Bland recovery diet for dogs.

3 parts cooked rice, one part boiled hamburger or chicken, or cottage cheese. I think you can substitute boiled potatoes for the rice. Once in an emergency, we bought a plain baked potato from Wendy's.

This is meant for short time settling a dog's digestive tract. It is not the complete and balanced diet they need long term. I have seen it work.

I do agree the dog needs to see a vet. If it is regularly eating a kibble and little else, it shouldn't be having diarrhea. Of course it will if you keep making sudden changes in its diet.

Jet

Just looking at cottage cheese makes me feel like having diarreaha! Dogs shouldn't have too much dairy because they cannot properly digest it. It also gives many dogs gas. I would talk to your dog's vet ASAP. Also, just looking at the texture of cottage cheese, you can tell that it makes dogs have diarreha. White rice can give dogs a lot of gas, so just go see your vet ASAP.

Jet answered on 12/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maverick

I would get a vet check up first but, my vet always puts us on a boiled rice, and chicken diet with a couple tablespoons of pure pumpkin to help firm everything up than slowly switch back to our dry dog food.

I hope your pup gets better soon!

Maverick answered on 1/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer