My dog has been sick for 10 days with water diareha. I have been feeding him rice and chicken only. He is 70 lb border c

Have seen a vet and dermatologist. My dog is on vetoryl for cushiongs, ivermectin for demodex , benazepril and solxine. And now metronidazole for diarhea but isn't working. My dog is so sick and I have tried everything. Please I welcome any suggestions??

Asked by Member 1064523 on Oct 18th 2011 in Alternative Treatments

Answers

Alikazam

Sounds like the meds have messed up his internal flora. Try some probiotics. I get mine from Wysong.com call and tell them to rush it. I imagine you could try the pet stores too. Before you get it try about a tablespoon of plain no sweet yogurt twice a day. Canned pumpkin has been known to help just try to find the plain not seasoned kind. Slowly reintroduce kibble to the diet if that is what you feed( talk to the Wysong nutritionist on the phone and ask for reccomendations). You could go the raw food route but I think his system might be compromised too much to fight off any disease right now. Good luck.

Alikazam answered on 10/19/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Amazing Grace

Oh boy, I wore your shoes a year ago. Grace took meds for IMHA and suffered a chronic problem like you're describing. The last med to wean her off of was Prednisone. The diarrhea continued sporadically and both metronidazole and probiotics didn't help. In layman terms: The alternate days of pred triggered an immune digestive response. My daughter suggested Kefir because it contains prebiotics as well as probiotics. Prebiotics work sooner within a shorter digestive track. Anyway, that's what finally balanced the flora and the diarrhea ceased. You'll find plain Kefir in the dairy section at the grocery. Hope it works as well for you. Feel better!

Amazing Grace answered on 10/19/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Oh my gosh, all those meds could give anyone the runs. Lots and lots of fluids! I've heard good things about prebiotics, and the bland diet is a great place to start. Maybe ask the vet if a Pepcid or dog Immodium are in order.