my dog has been losing weight drasticlly for a few months now. we had him to the vets last night and he's even confused-

i have a neutered aussie sheperd (red double merle) who will be 4 in oct. he use to be over weight (by about 8 lbs) so i decreased his diet and included low soium green beans. he lost slowly but consistantly while walking and playing. BUT HE CONTINUED TO LOSE WEIGHT! i normally would increase his diet a bit in the summer months b/c of all the playing we do outside-but it hasnt help. hes now eating atleast 5c of dry PLUS pumpkin, rice and pasta. his health check was last night-fecal was neg. heartworm-neg. his energy level hasnt changed nor has his breathing, heartrate, drinking or urinating. he IS pooping more tho. orange (even before the pumpkin) and soft. 3-5x a day he will poop. hes been doing that for a lil over 2 months. hes on a multivitamin (always has been) along w/ gluc.chond. his appetite has obviously increased too. he should weigh about 45lbs or so-when as of last night hes 36lbs. the doc said he will call with what tests to run. what am i looking at here-im still scared!

Asked by Member 530369 on Jul 9th 2008 Tagged unexplainedweightloss, doublemerle, scaredandworried in Illness & Disease

Answers

Dylan

Don't know if this will help you or not but after reading your question I feel the need to tell you what happened to me (Dylan). When I was about 4 years old I started losing weight also - my mom and dad didn't notice anything in my energy, breathing or anything either. But my mom did find a yellowish stain on my bed a couple times. She took me to the vet and they found out I had an enlarged prostate. Once they got that feeling better, I gained weight back (i had gotten too skinny). Just a thought . Sure sounds like you are on the right track getting the vet to do the tests and stuff. A urine test helped with diagnosing the prostate - as well as the traditional uncomfortable way. Good luck and try not to worry - you just have to figure out what it is then you can make it better..

Dylan answered on 7/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

TK, CGC

I know it sounds obvious, but have you tried putting him on a higher calorie food, or one that has a higher percentage of fat and/or protein? I have fed some foods that have 500+ kcal/cup.

There is also a recipe called 'satin balls' for underweight dogs who need to gain quickly. Perhaps you can supplement his regular diet with this once in a while.

TK, CGC answered on 7/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

he could have somthink stuck in his tummy

I just read your question. I do not have an answer, but the same exact thing is happening to my dog now. 1/4/10. She is an aussie too. Can you please tell me what happened to your dog? Please help!
Bree

Hi i just read your question and im having the same problem with my dog over the last few months. he started putting weight back on for a couple of weeks but im now back at square one. could you please let me know your vets findings so i can tell my vet what to look for