my dog has a ulcer on his bum

my dog has an ulcer looking sore on his bun. Approxamitely 2 cm away from his bum hole. What can it be? I thought it could be a hot spot or a hemorrhoid.

Asked by Member 605244 on Mar 9th 2008 Tagged health, emergencies in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

It's highly probable that it is an anal gland abscess. You need to get your dog to the vet to determine the problem and to start on a treatment plan.

Good luck

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!!

Just as C.J. said. It is probably a ruptured anal gland.Thses are very painful for the dogs and were painful prior to this.It takes a while for an anal gland to get in this point.Please get your dog to the right away

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!! answered on 3/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Greta and Co

One of my chihuahuas had ongoing problems with her anal glands , well with one of them. She had what looked like an absess approx twice yeary which she continually licked, looked sore.Various Vets prescribed antibiotics for each occurance, advised more roughage in diet and having glands expelled regularly. I finally managed to find a vet who sucessfully removed both glands with a risk of post operative incontinance.Luckily operation was a success and Tammy is fine and as far as I can tell is not missing her problematic glands

Greta and Co answered on 3/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I also think this sounds like a ruptured anal gland. This is more than likely very painful for him.

I'd take him in first thing on Monday to get started on the treatment to relieve his discomfort.

With proper treatment, he should be better quickly.