Lucie Lu

My dog has a sore spot on the right side of him, above and before his right hind leg. Any clues as to what this may be?

Our 2 year old boxer has developed a sore spot on the right side of him... he licks at it constantly. It's only been there for about 2 weeks, but for the past week or so, it seems to have gotten worse. There is less and less hair there, by the day. It looks more red, and he as well as our two female labs, love to lick at it constantly. It has a few little bumps, but nothing large. It just looks really irritated, and I am growing a large concern for what it may be. I would call the vet, but seeing how it is a Sunday-- it is impossible. I am turning to the internet to provide me with advice! Thanks for any knowledge you are able to provide-- love, Peanut and his family :)

Asked by Lucie Lu on Jan 6th 2008 Tagged baldspot, reddness, itching, hairloss in Skin Problems

Answers

KABX  loves Sammy

Have you changed his food lately? Any environmental change,maybe extra moisture where he sleeps? I have seen raw spots on my Lab when she was eating a certain type of dog food that she was allergic to. The vet told us to machine shave the area around the sore, wash it with neutral soap and apply Gentosin ( an antimicrobial that contains steroids and stops the urge to scratch). Get ( or make) an Elizabethan collar for your dog to stop him from licking it but also stop the other dogs by keeping them separated for a little while. All you need is a bit of time until you get the appointment with the Vet. This is serious because only the vet will know exactly what causes the sores, sometimes by having a skin sample and looking for a specific microbe.
Remember that the most important thing is to keep the sore clean and dry. Good luck.

KABX loves Sammy answered on 1/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You said in your post that he's had it for about two weeks, it seems to get worse, there's less and less hair there, and he is licking it constantly.

Is it an oozy kind of sore? If so, this sounds to me like it could possibly be a hot spot. Look the up online to see pictures, you might be able to tell whether they match your sore. If you are unsure, consult your vet.

If it is a hot spot, they are very, very common in dogs, and some dogs are more prone to them in the winter months, for some reason. They can easily be treated at home. The trick is to keep the area clean and dry.

Vets usually recommend clipping the area around the hot spot so you can see how large it is. Use a cone to keep your dog from irritating it. I've found that applying Sulfodene (a liquid formulated for Hot Spots - it's about $4 at Wal Mart) works best, over all the other Hot Spot medications out there.